Book DescriptionPraise for Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart
"In this book, O'Neill brings form and structure to the art of executive coaching. Novices are provided a path while seasoned practitioners will find affirmation."
—Daryl R. Conner, CEO and president, ODR-USA, Inc.
"Mary Beth O'Neill's executive coaching gave me the tools and clarity to become a far more effective leader and change agent. The bottom line was that we succeeded with a monumental organizational turnaround that had seemed impossible to accomplish."
—Eric Stevens, former CEO, Courage Center
"O'Neill writes in a way that allows you to see this experienced coach in action. What a wonderful way to learn!"
—Geoff Bellman, consultant and author, The Consultant's Calling
"Mary Beth brings a keen business focus to coaching by not just contributing insights but through helping me and my team gain the insights that we need to solve our own problems. She has the ability to see through the sometimes chaotic dialogue and personalities in order to help a team focus on the real issues and dynamics that can impede organizations from achieving their goals."
—John C. Nicol, general manager, MSN Media Network
"Effective leaders require courage, compassion, and initiative. O'Neill's systems-based coaching serves as a guide for both coaches and executives to better enable good decisions and good decision-makers."
—Paul D. Purcell, president, Beacon Development Group
"With Mary Beth O'Neill's coaching, I've become the kind of leader who balances both the needs to get results and to develop great working relationships. Since I started working with her, I've won accolades as the Top Innovator for my company, and as Professional of the Year for my industry. More important, I've been able to scope my job in a way that allows me to learn and contribute at the same time, all the while delivering great results to the bottom line."
—Lynann Bradbury, vice president, Waggener Edstrom
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- The Author
Part One - CORE CONCEPTS The Coach’s Stance
- Chapter 1 - AN INTRODUCTION TO EXECUTIVE COACHING
- Chapter 2 - DEVELOPING A STRONG SIGNATURE PRESENCE
- Chapter 3 - SYSTEMS THINKING Understanding the Executive’s Challenges and the ...
- Chapter 4 - THE TRIANGLED COACH Being Effective in the Middle
Part Two - METHODOLOGY The Four Phases of Coaching
Chapter 5 - PHASE 1—CONTRACTING Find a Way to Be a Partner
- The Roots of the Coaching Phases
- Join with the Client
- Familiarize Yourself with Your Client’s Challenge
- Test the Client’s Ability to Own His Part of the Issue
- Give Immediate Feedback to the Client
- Take a Systems View of Your Client’s Issue
- Establish a Contract
- Encourage the Client to Set Measurable Goals
- Involve the Boss
- A Word About Assessment Tools
- Chapter Five Highlights
- Chapter 6 - PHASE 2—PLANNING Keep the Ownership with the Client
Chapter 7 - PHASE 3—LIVE-ACTION COACHING Strike While the Iron Is Hot
- Stage 1: Behind-the-Scenes Coaching of the Client
- Stage 2: Observation of the Client with Her Direct Reports
- Stage 3: Live-Action Coaching of the Client and His Direct Reports
- Stage 4: Live-Action Coaching of Just the Client When the Client Is with Her ...
- Setting the Stage for and Using the Live-Action Coaching Method
- Live-Action Coaching Tasks
- Chapter Seven Highlights
- Chapter 8 - PHASE 4—DEBRIEFING Define a Learning Focus
- Chapter 9 - AN ROI METHOD FOR EXECUTIVE COACHING Have the Client Convince the ...
- Chapter 5 - PHASE 1—CONTRACTING Find a Way to Be a Partner
Part Three - SPECIAL APPLICATIONS
- Chapter 10 - MAKING A STRATEGIC TRANSITION TO THE ROLE OF EXECUTIVE COACH
- Chapter 11 - HELPING LEADERS EFFECTIVELY COACH EMPLOYEES
- Appendix A - THE CORE ACTIVITIES AND OUTCOMES OF THE COACHING PHASES
- Appendix B - EXECUTIVE COACHING SKILLS SELF-ASSESSMENT SURVEY
- Appendix C - QUESTIONS FOR CLIENTS
- Appendix D - COMBINING COACHING AND CONSULTING FOR POWERFUL RESULTS
- Title: Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart, 2nd Edition
- Release date: July 2007
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780787986391