Using Skype on Mobile Devices
After experimenting with various attempts at using Skype on mobile phones, Skype launched a true Skype application on the iPhone in April 20091. Initially, it only worked over Wi-Fi access points but you could call landline and mobile phone numbers from any Wi-Fi access point worldwide. Subsequent releases and upgrades for mobile devices have delivered:
- Support for use on wireless carrier networks (using data plans)
- Skype for Android, iPad, BlackBerry 10, Windows 8 tablets, Windows Phone 8, and Amazon Fire
- Fully featured chat, including support for SMS messages and edit/remove messages
- Integration with native contacts on a device
- Significant reductions in battery drain such that it is not an issue ...