- Exploring all aspects of web development using the Express framework
- Starts with the essentials
- Expert tips and advice covering all Express topics
Express is a minimal and flexible node.js web application framework, providing a robust set of features for building single and multi-page, and hybrid web applications. It provides a thin layer of features fundamental to any web application, without obscuring features that developers know and love in node.js.
"Express Web Application Development" is a comprehensive guide for those looking to learn how to use the Express web framework for web application development.
Starting with the initial setup of the Express web framework, "Express Web Application Development" helps you to understand the fundamentals of the framework. By the end of "Express Web Application Development", you will have acquired enough knowledge and skills to create production-ready Express apps. All of this is made possible by the incremental introduction of more advanced topics, starting from the very essentials.
On the way to mastering Express for application development, we teach you the more advanced topics such as routes, views, middleware, forms, sessions, cookies and various other aspects of configuring an Express application. Jade; the recommended HTML template engine, and Stylus; the CSS pre-processor for Express, are covered in detail.
Last, but definitely not least, Express Web Application Development also covers practices and setups that are required to make Express apps production-ready.
Table of contents
Express Web Application Development
- Table of Contents
- Express Web Application Development
- About the Author
- About the Reviewers
- 1. What is Express?
2. Your First Express App
- Your first Express app
- Auto-generating an Express app
- Empowering Express with middlewares
- Empowering Express with Node modules
- Logging requests to the App
- Using a configuration file
- Setting and getting application options
- Express in different environments
- 3. Understanding Express Routes
4. Response From the Server
- A primer on HTTP response
- HTTP response in Express
5. The Jade Templating Language
- What is Jade?
- Generating HTML tags
- Creating text content
- Declaring the document's Doctype
- Programmability in Jade
- 6. The Stylus CSS Preprocessor
7. Forms, Cookies, and Sessions
- Using forms to submit data
- Data in named segments
- Using cookies to store data
- Using sessions to store data
8. Express in Production
- What the is production environment?
- Benchmarking the app
- Creating an app cluster
- Handling critical events
- Ensuring uptime
- Using a reverse proxy
- Title: Express Web Application Development
- Release date: June 2013
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849696548
You might also like
Node.js Web Development - Fifth Edition
Build scalable web applications using Node.js, Express.js, and the latest ECMAScript techniques, along with deploying applications …
Advanced Express Web Application Development
Learn to use Express.js pragmatically by creating five fun and robust real-world APIs, with a bonus …