Swift quickly became the dominant language for iOS app development not long after Apple introduced the language in 2014. When Swift moved to open source, extending this modern language from client to server side became an option, and today, with Swift 3.0, companies can extend the value of Swift end-to-end. With this ebook, you’ll learn how to write your entire application in Swift—from mobile client to the middle tier to server-side database access.
- Learn how Swift produces clear and concise code, and prevents and detects bugs
- Produce code for the client and server with a single uniform IDE
- Reuse Swift abstractions and code on the client, server, and middle tier
- Dive into asynchronous programming with Swift’s support for monads and futures
- Use Swift’s optional types and structures to tell the compiler more about your program
Dr. David Ungar holds a research position at IBM in the Ubiquitous Platforms group within Cloud and Mobile Enterprise Research.
Robert F. Dickerson is a software engineer in the Swift@IBM Engineering group.
Table of contents
- Preface: Swift for the Rest of Your Application
- 1. A Swift Introduction
2. Optional Types, Structures, & Enumerations
- Optional Types Exterminate Nil-Value Bugs
- Structures Isolate Mutation
- Enumerations with Associated Values
- Choosing an Aggregate
- 3. Swift Promises to Tame Asynchrony
- 4. Swift Package Manager
- 5. Writing a To-Do List with Kitura
- Title: Extending Swift Value(s) to the Server
- Release date: February 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491972137
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Learning Swift, 3rd Edition
Get valuable hands-on experience with Swift, the open source programming language developed by Apple. With this …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Classic Computer Science Problems in Swift: Essential techniques for practicing programmers
Summary Classic Computer Science Problems in Swift deepens your Swift language skills by exploring foundational coding …