Fabricated tells the story of 3D printers, humble manufacturing machines that are bursting out of the factory and into schools, kitchens, hospitals, even onto the fashion catwalk. Fabricated describes our emerging world of printable products, where people design and 3D print their own creations as easily as they edit an online document.
A 3D printer transforms digital information into a physical object by carrying out instructions from an electronic design file, or 'blueprint.' Guided by a design file, a 3D printer lays down layer after layer of a raw material to 'print' out an object. That's not the whole story, however. The magic happens when you plug a 3D printer into today's mind-boggling digital technologies. Add to that the Internet, tiny, low cost electronic circuitry, radical advances in materials science and biotech and voila! The result is an explosion of technological and social innovation.
Fabricated takes the reader onto a rich and fulfilling journey that explores how 3D printing is poised to impact nearly every part of our lives.
Aimed at people who enjoy books on business strategy, popular science and novel technology, Fabricated will provide readers with practical and imaginative insights to the question 'how will this technology change my life?' Based on hundreds of hours of research and dozens of interviews with experts from a broad range of industries, Fabricated offers readers an informative, engaging and fast-paced introduction to 3D printing now and in the future.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: Everything is becoming science fiction
- Chapter 2: A machine that can make almost anything
- Chapter 3: Nimble manufacturing: Good, fast, and cheap
- Chapter 4: Tomorrow’s economy of printable products
- Chapter 5: Printing in layers
- Chapter 6: Design software, the digital canvas
- Chapter 7: Bioprinting in “living ink”
- Chapter 8: Digital cuisine
- Chapter 9: A factory in the classroom
- Chapter 10: Unleashing a new aesthetic
- Chapter 11: Green, clean manufacturing
- Chapter 12: Ownership, safety, and new legal frontiers
- Chapter 13: Designing the future
- Chapter 14: The next episode of 3D printing
- About the Authors
- Title: Fabricated: The New World of 3D Printing
- Release date: February 2013
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118350638
You might also like
Building Your Own Drones: A Beginner’s Guide to Drones, UAVs, and ROVs
Absolutely no experience needed! Build your drone, step-by-step, with this full-color, hands-on guide! You’ve heard about …
3D Printing For Dummies, 2nd Edition
The bestselling book on 3D printing 3D printing is one of the coolest inventions we've seen …
3D Bioprinting: Fundamentals, Principles and Applications provides the latest information on the fundamentals, principles, physics, and …
Arduino For Dummies
The quick, easy way to leap into the fascinating world of physical computing This is no …