What’s in This Chapter
• Defining the facilitative trainer’s role
• Creating an effective learning environment
• Preparing participant materials
• Using program preparation checklists
• Starting and ending on a strong note
• Managing participant behaviors
Let’s get one thing clear from the get-go: Leading a workshop—leading learning—is not lecturing. The title of ATD’s bestselling book says it all: Telling Ain’t Training (Stolovitch and Keeps 2011). A facilitative trainer helps learners open themselves to new learning and makes the process easier. The role requires that you avoid projecting yourself as a subject matter expert (SME) and that you prepare activities that foster learning ...