FAST stands for Frequent, Accurate, Specific and Timely, and FAST Feedback is a new approach to performance evaluation in sync with today's fast-paced, rapidly changing workplace. FAST can be used in conjunction with or as an alternative to six and twelve month reviews. FAST links training directly with ongoing performance evaluation by keeping employees in a constant feedback loop. There are many ways to implement FAST Feedback in your organization, including the customizable forms included in this pocket guide. This top selling title from renowned author Bruce Tulgan is appropriate for all supervisors, managers, executives, and educators.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1. What Is FAST Feedback?
- Chapter 2. Not So FAST
Chapter 3. Reality Check: How FAST Is Your Feedback?
- STEP 1. RECALLING YOUR FEEDBACK INTERACTIONPlease select a direct report or other valued coworker for your focus here. (If you made a list of direct reports and valued co-workers earlier, in the Introduction, return to the list and choose someone).
- STEP 2. ASSESSING YOUR FEEDBACK INTERACTIONPlease read each of the following 12 questions and record your answer in the box provided.
- STEP 3. SCORING YOUR SELF-EVALUATION Use the guide below to determine the point value of your answers. Add the points to receive score.
- STEP 4. BRAINSTORMING EXERCISEPlease brainstorm some steps you could have taken to improve the feedback interaction. The questions below are included to help you along.
- STEP 1. RECALLING FEEDBACK YOU RECEIVEDTake a moment to think of a senior manager you report to now or a manager you have reported to in the past.
- STEP 2. ASSESSING YOUR MANAGER’S FEEDBACKPlease read each of the following 12 questions and record your answer in the box provided.
- STEP 3. SCORING YOUR MANAGER’S FEEDBACK Use the guide below to determine the point value of your answers. Add the points to receive score.
- Chapter 4. Frequent Feedback: Tuning In to Each Person’s Unique Needs
- Chapter 5. Accurate Feedback: Thoughtful, Balanced, and True
Chapter 6. Specific Feedback: Focusing on Concrete Action Steps
- THE PRACTICAL ANGLE ON CONCRETE ACTION STEPS
- ENSURING COMPLETE, EFFECTIVE DELEGATION OF CONCRETE ACTION STEPS
- FEEDBACK THAT IS NOT SPECIFIC ENOUGH: THE TOP FIVE CAUSES
- Please follow the steps below. Select a direct report or other valued co-worker, and write that person’s name on the accompanying worksheet.
- Chapter 7. Timely Feedback: The Sooner, The Better
- Chapter 8. Why Turn Managers Into Coaches
- Chapter 9. One Last FAST Review
- OUR INTERVIEW RESEARCH AT RAINMAKER THINKING is an ongoing effort to gather and analyze the invaluable data that people at the front lines of the workplace have to offer. Working with such data, we have developed a four-hour licensable training program to teach managers the fundamental behaviors and skills of FAST Feedback. The program, FAST Feedback: Coaching Skills for Managers, focuses on building the four key behaviors and corresponding skills practiced by the most effective managers—the ones our interviewees regarded as “the best [they’ve] ever had.” The program is intended to teach anyone in a position of supervisory responsibility how to bring out the best in the people they manage and coach employees to success in the fast-paced workplace of the future.
- TRAINING AND IMPLEMENTATION: WHAT THEY CAN DO FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION
- MAXIMIZING THE BENEFITS
- DIFFERENT APPROACHES TO FAST IMPLEMENTATION
- Appendix A. FAST Feedback Training and Implementation
- Appendix B. The FAST Evaluations (Self and Other)
- Appendix C. The FAST Feedback Manager’s Tool Kit
- Appendix D. Standardized FAST Feedback Memos: Sample Templates
- Title: Fast Feedback
- Release date: May 1999
- Publisher(s): HRD Press
- ISBN: 9780874254952
You might also like
Learn how to design and implement a performance feedback program that will help employees take performance …
Feedback is broken — here's how to fix it to create a highly engaged workplace with …
Giving Effective Feedback (HBR 20-Minute Manager Series)
Whether you're dealing with a problem employee or praising the good work of a colleague, you …
Feedback in Performance Reviews
Performance reviews vary from one organization to the next. This guidebook will help you understand how …