182 Fiber Saver (2029) Implementation Guide
Table 29. Band and channel allocation chart for problem determination configuration
One of the IBM 2029 channels supports an ETR link between a server (known as
P701) and a 9037-002 Sysplex Timer. The other IBM 2029 channel that has been
provisioned uses a 4TDM card to support four ESCON links. Two of the links are
from a server to an ESCON Director, and the other two are from an ESCON
Director to control unit interfaces.
9.2 Normal operational status
It is important to understand what status is good for an IBM 2029 channel link and
attached devices, as displayed on the System Manager workstation. The initial
conditions for this network are:
• ETR ports on both the server and the 9037-002 are enabled.
• ESCON CHPIDs are online to the operating systems running in the servers.
• ESCON director ports are unblocked and have a status of online (that is, the
ports can see light on attached ESCON interface cables).
• Attached device interfaces are enabled.
• There are no outstanding IBM 2029 equipment alarms on the System
After logging in to the System Manager, the IBM 2029 System Manager window is
displayed. See Figure 131 on page 183.
Network name: Andreas Network
Hub Site name: San Francisco
Hub Site ID:1
Remote Site name:Oakland
Remote Site ID:2
IBM 2029 frame serial:12345 IBM 2029 frame serial:67890
TOP SHELF pair band number:6
Hub Shelf name:
SF Hub Band 6
Shelf ID: 6 Hubbing group:1
Remote Shelf name:
Oak Rmt Band 6
Shelf ID: 14 Hubbing group:2
Channel Description Protocol Mode
B / HA
Card / Slot
Card / Slot
Card / Slot
Port 1:P701 ETR port 1
1B 6 1W 1 1E 18 1B 6 T6
Aggregate: 4-TDM Slot 14
Port 1: SWAE Port EC
Port 2: SWAE Port AD
Port 3: P701 CHPID A6
Port 4: P601 CHPID A9
ESCON B T14
4B 14 4W 4 4E 15 4B 14 T14
Chapter 9. Problem determination using the System Manager 183
Figure 131. IBM 2029 System Manager window - no active alarms
On the IBM 2029 System Manager display, information relating to only SF Hub
Band 6 and Oak Rmt Band 6 is displayed for clarity. This filtering of shelf
information is done using the following procedure:
• Click the Selected Shelves tab; the Network tree is displayed.
• Click shelf icon SF Hub Band 6; the icon is highlighted.
• Press and hold the Ctrl key and click shelf icon Oak Rmt Band 6. Both shelf
icons are highlighted.
• Click the Apply button.
• Click the Selected Shelves tab again to hide the Network tree.
• Click Surveillance, then Active Alarms to display the current active alarms
for both Band 6 shelves.
In Figure 131:
• The upper area of the IBM 2029 System Manager window is the Alarm
Banner. This shows a summary count of active alarms in the IBM 2029
network using colored fields.
• The top row of the Alarm Banner shows the number and type of alarms which
are currently active for the whole Andreas Network (all shelves).
• The bottom row of the Alarm Banner shows alarms which are currently active
for the shelves selected from the Network tree (SF Hub Band 6, Oak Rmt
• The alarm banner uses red, orange, and yellow to highlight the alarm counts
that have not been acknowledged.
184 Fiber Saver (2029) Implementation Guide
The alarm categories are:
• Critical (Red): A traffic-affecting anomaly that requires immediate attention.
• Major (Orange): An anomaly that may affect traffic if it does not receive
• Minor (Yellow): A secondary indicator of another alarm or a condition that
does not affect traffic.
• Alerts (Light Yellow): An anomaly that is not traffic affecting; an alert can be
an early indication of equipment that is failing.
Gray indicates acknowledged alarms and alerts. Clicking a colored Alarm field
acknowledges the alarm and turns the icon gray.
• There are no active alarms of any category present in the Alarm Banner. Also,
there are no active alarms displayed in the Surveillance - Active Alarms
• The Active Alarms window updates automatically when the Auto Refresh
option is selected.
To display the current physical operational state of the shelf hardware:
• Click Equipment, then Inventory.
• Either click the Refresh button or, on the menu bar, click the Refresh
pulldown, then Refresh current window.
The Equipment - Inventory window is displayed in Figure 132.
Figure 132. Equipment Inventory for Oak Rmt Band 6 and SF Hub Band 6