Questions and Exercises
1. In the context of your organisation and the status of quality improvement initiatives, examine the steps of implementation described in Chapter 10 and develop an implementation strategy to move towards total quality management, Six Sigma or FIT SIGMA as appropriate.
2. A large multinational FMCG manufacturing organisation has a turnover of £12 billion p.a. and operates in 32 countries with approximately 60,000 employees. Both the growth and the profitability of the company have been declining over the last five years. Some of the subsidiary companies have carried out isolated cost-effectiveness programmes under different banners, e.g. TQM, TPM, BPR and JIT. What would be your recommended continuous improvement strategy for the multinational company?
3. You have been asked as a management consultant, with particular expertise in Six Sigma, to develop a corporate strategy for rolling out operational excellence programmes to all subsidiary companies. Outline a plan to include:
- Objectives and scope.
- Corporate imperatives.
- Methodology, tools and techniques.
- Estimated costs and benefits.
- Implementation steps.
- Rollout time plan.
4. Your organisation has been successful in the implementation of a quality programme based on Six Sigma principles. Write a case study of the programme by taking into account:
- Organisation overview (whether service or manufacturing).
- Drivers for change.
- How DMAIC methodology has been used.
- What kind of tools and techniques ...