10. Replacing the Power Supply
In This Chapter
• Some surprisingly useful facts about power supplies
• A handy power supply buyer’s guide
• Getting your old power supply out of your PC
• Shoehorning your new power supply into your PC
Surprisingly, you can easily make a case that the power supply (sometimes called the PSU, short for power supply unit) is one of the three most important components in any system (the other two being the motherboard and the processor). Why? Because without the power supply, your PC—no matter how lovingly maintained—is nothing but an oversized paperweight. Almost every aspect of your PC requires a direct current (DC) source, and that source is the power supply. However, it isn’t enough that the PSU doles out the ...