When the landmark best-seller Flawless Consulting was first published more than three decades ago, it was quickly adopted as the “consultant's bible.” With his legendary warmth and passion, Peter Block explained how to deal effectively with clients, peers, and others. The book continues to speak to people in a support function inside organizations as well as to external consultants.
This thoroughly revised and updated third edition of Peter Block's groundbreaking book explores the latest thinking on consultation. It includes new insights about how we can organize our consulting around discovering the strengths, positive examples, and gifts of the client organization or community. The book remains a practical and specific guide for anyone who needs to develop a capacity for deeper relatedness and partnership — which means it is for all who wish to make a real difference in the world.
This new edition covers the consulting challenges that have arisen from the way we routinely communicate electronically and live in the virtual world. Block suggests ways to overcome the distancing and isolating effects inherent in electronic connects. The book also includes practical guidance on how to ask better questions, gives suggestions for dealing with difficult clients, and contains expanded guidelines on more engaging forms of implementation.
Flawless Consulting includes two new examples, taken from health care and educational reform efforts, to show how consulting skills can be useful (and often transformative) in a broader context. These illustrative examples point the way for achieving changes for leadership in business, government, religion, human services, and more.
Like the first two editions, Flawless Consulting affirms the notion that authentic behavior and personal relationships are the key to technical and business success. By demonstrating their ability to be truly authentic at each step in the process, consultants can aim toward creating workplaces that are more collaborative and ultimately more successful.
Table of Contents
- Also by Peter Block
- What’s New?
- Chapter 1: A Consultant by Any Other Name . . .
- Chapter 2: Techniques are Not Enough
- Chapter 3: Flawless Consulting
- Chapter 4: Contracting Overview
- Chapter 5: The Contracting Meeting
- Chapter 6: The Agonies of Contracting
- Chapter 7: The Internal Consultant
- Chapter 8: Understanding Resistance
- Chapter 9: Dealing with Resistance
- Chapter 10: From Diagnosis to Discovery
- Chapter 11: Whole-System Discovery
- Chapter 12: Discovering Gifts, Capacities, and Possibilities
- Chapter 13: Get the Picture
- Chapter 14: Preparing for Feedback
- Chapter 15: Managing the Meeting for Action
- Chapter 16: Implementation
- Chapter 17: The Elements of Engagement
- Chapter 18: Teacher as Consultant
Chapter 19: The Heart of the Matter
- Choosing Learning over Teaching
- Learning as a Social Adventure
- The Struggle Is the Solution
- The Question Is More Important Than the Answer
- Beyond How
- Insight Resides in Moments of Tension
- Capacities Bear More Fruit Than Deficiencies
- We are Responsible for One Another’s Learning
- Culture Changes in the Moment
- If Change Is So Wonderful, Why Don’t You Go First?
- The Final Question Is One of Faith
- Online Appendix: Handy Checklists You Can Use
- Further Reading
- About the Author
- Title: Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used, Third Edition
- Release date: February 2011
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470620748