Praise for Foreign Exchange
"Tim Weithers starts by telling the reader that foreign exchange is not difficult, just confusing, but Foreign Exchange: A Practical Guide to the FX Markets proves that money is much more exciting than anything it buys. This useful book is a whirlwind tour of the world's largest market, and the tour guide is an expert storyteller, inserting numerous fascinating insights and quirky facts throughout the book."
-John R. Taylor, Chairman, CEO and CIO, FX Concepts
"The book reflects the author's doctorate from the University of Chicago, several years' experience as an economics professor, and, most recently, a very successful decade as an executive at a huge international bank. These fundamental ingredients are seasoned with bits of wisdom and experience. What results is a very tasty intellectual stew."
-Professor Jack Clark Francis, PhD, Professor of Economics and Finance, Bernard Baruch College
"In this book, Tim Weithers clearly explains a very complicated subject. Foreign Exchange is full of jargon and conventions that make it very hard for non-professionals to gain a good understanding. Weither's book is a must for any student or professional who wants to learn the secrets of FX."
-Niels O. Nygaard, Director of Financial Mathematics, The University of Chicago
"An excellent text for students and practitioners who want to become acquainted with the arcane world of the foreign exchange market."
-David DeRosa, PhD, founder, DeRosa Research and Trading, Inc., and Adjunct Professor of Finance, Yale School of Management
"Tim Weithers provides a superb introduction to the arcana of foreign exchange markets. While primarily intended for practitioners, the book would be a valuable introduction for students with some knowledge of economics. The text is exceptionally clear with numeric examples and exercises that reinforce concepts. Frequent references are made to the economic theory behind the trading practices."
-John F. O'Connell, Professor of Economics, College of the Holy Cross
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- CHAPTER 1 - Trading Money
- CHAPTER 2 - Markets, Prices, and Marketmaking
- CHAPTER 3 - Interest Rates
- CHAPTER 4 - Brief History of Foreign Exchange
- CHAPTER 5 - The Foreign Exchange Spot Market
- CHAPTER 6 - Foreign Exchange Forwards
- CHAPTER 7 - Foreign Exchange Futures
- CHAPTER 8 - Foreign Exchange Swaps or Cross-Currency Swaps or Cross-Currency Interest Rate Swaps or . . .
CHAPTER 9 - Foreign Exchange Options
- OPTION BASICS
- EQUITY OPTIONS
- PUT-CALL PARITY WITH EQUITY OPTIONS
- IN-THE-MONEY, AT-THE-MONEY, AND OUT-OF-THE-MONEY
- THEORETICAL OPTION VALUE AND OPTION RISK MEASURES (“THE GREEKS”)
- FOREIGN EXCHANGE OPTIONS
- PUT-CALL PARITY IN FOREIGN EXCHANGE
- PERSPECTIVE MATTERS
- FX OPTION PREMIUM
- USES AND STRATEGIES
- APPENDIX: Theoretical Option Valuation
- THE BINOMIAL MODEL
- THE BLACK-SCHOLES/GARMAN-KOHLHAGEN MODEL
- THE GARMAN-KOHLHAGEN OPTION RISK MEASURES OR “GREEKS”
- CHAPTER 10 - Exotic Options and Structured Products
- CHAPTER 11 - The Economics of Exchange Rates and International Trade
- CHAPTER 12 - Currency Crises
- CHAPTER 13 - Technical Analysis
- CHAPTER 14 - Where Do We Go from Here?
- CHAPTER 15 - Conclusion
- APPENDIX - Precious Metals
- Answers to the Chapter Exercises
- About the Author
- Title: Foreign Exchange: A Practical Guide to the FX Markets
- Release date: July 2006
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118046210