Free and open source is the foundation of software development, and it's built by people just like you. Discover the fundamental tenets that drive the movement. Take control of your career by selecting the right project to meet your professional goals. Master the language and avoid the pitfalls that typically ensnare new contributors. Join a community of like-minded people and change the world. Programmers, writers, designers, and everyone interested in software will make their mark through free and open source software contributions.
Free and open source software is the default choice for the programming languages and technologies which run our world today, and it's all built and maintained by people just like you. No matter your skill level or area of expertise, with this book you will contribute to free and open source software projects. Using this practical approach you'll understand not only the mechanics of contributing, but also how doing so helps your career as well as the community.
This book doesn't assume that you're a programmer, or even that you have prior experience with free and open source software. Learn what open source is, where it came from, and why it's important. Start on the right foot by mastering the structure and tools you need before you contribute. Choose the right project for you, amplifying the impact of your contribution. Submit your first contribution, whether it's code, writing, design, or community organising. Find out what to do when things don't go the way you expect. Discover how to start your own project and make it friendly and welcoming to contributors.
Anyone can contribute! Make your mark today and help others while also helping yourself.
Table of contents
1. The Foundations and Philosophies of Free and Open SourceThe Foundations and Philosophies of Free and Open Source
- It’s About the People
- Why Learn About the Philosophies?
- Free and Open Source Software Is Everywhere
- Other Open Movements
- The Origins of Free Software
- The Origins of Open Source
- Difference Between Free Software and Open Source
- An Aside About Terminology
- A Brief Introduction to Copyright and Licensing
- Types of Free and Open Source Software Licenses
- Now You Have a Strong Foundation
- 2. What Free and Open Source Can Do for YouWhat Free and Open Source Can Do for You
- 3. Prepare to Contribute
- 4. Find a Project
- 5. Make a Contribution
- 6. Make a Difference Without Making a Pull RequestMake a Difference Without Making a Pull Request
- 7. Interact with the Community
- 8. It’s About the PeopleIt’s About the People
- 9. When It Goes Wrong
- 10. Start Your Own Project
- 11. Contribute for Your Job
- A1. Glossary
- Title: Forge Your Future with Open Source
- Release date: October 2018
- Publisher(s): Pragmatic Bookshelf
- ISBN: 9781680503012
You might also like
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Learning React, 2nd Edition
If you want to learn how to build efficient React applications, this is your book. Ideal …
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, 2nd Edition
If you’ve ever spent hours renaming files or updating hundreds of spreadsheet cells, you know how …
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python teaches simple programming skills to automate everyday computer tasks.