Foundations of SQL Server 2008 R2 Business Intelligence introduces the exciting gamut of business intelligence tools included with SQL Server 2008. Microsoft has designed SQL Server 2008 to be more than just a database. It's a complete business intelligence (BI) platform. The database is at the core, and surrounding the database are tools for data mining, modeling, reporting, analyzing, charting, and integration with other, enterprise-level software packages.
SQL Server 2008 puts an incredible amount of BI functionality at your disposal. But how do you take advantage of it? That's what this book is all about. Authors Guy Fouché and Lynn Langit show how to implement end-to-end BI solutions using SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and other tools in the Microsoft BI toolkit. You'll learn about all-new features such as PowerPivot and Report Builder 3.0. Also provided are clear examples of predictive analysis made possible through powerful data mining features in SQL Server.
If you're an analyst or developer working with SQL Server 2008 who is charged with delivering results that drive business success, you can't afford to be without this book; you can't afford to ignore the powerful BI suite that Microsoft has placed at your disposal.
Provides the "big picture" of Microsoft's BI tool suite
Covers PowerPivot and other game-changing technologies introduced alongside SQL Server 2008 Release 2
Gives a practical analysis of features based on real-world practices
What you'll learn
Apply dimensional- and fact-based modeling to create OLAP schemas
Optimize data extraction and transformation with SQL Server Integration Services
Develop OLAP and data-mining solutions using SQL Server Analysis Services
Create compelling reports using the new Report Builder 3.0 in SQL Server Reporting Services
Deliver self-service business-intelligence via Microsoft PowerPivot
Manage and maintain control over your business intelligence environment
Who this book is for
Foundations of SQL Server 2008 R2 Business Intelligence is for business intelligence analysts and developers wanting to employ the full stack of business intelligence tools that are part of SQL Server. The book also appeals to database administrators managing databases in support of business intelligence efforts.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Authors
- About the Technical Reviewer
- CHAPTER 1: What Is Business Intelligence?
- CHAPTER 2: OLAP Modeling Concepts
- CHAPTER 3: Introducing OLAP Modeling with SSAS
- CHAPTER 4: Intermediate OLAP Modeling with SSAS
- CHAPTER 5: Advanced OLAP Modeling with SSAS
- CHAPTER 6: Cube Storage and Aggregation
- CHAPTER 7: Introducing SSIS
- CHAPTER 8: Intermediate SSIS
- CHAPTER 9: Advanced SSIS
- CHAPTER 10: Reporting Tools
- CHAPTER 11: Data Mining with Excel
- CHAPTER 12: Introducing PowerPivot
- CHAPTER 13: Introduction to MDX
- CHAPTER 14: Introduction to Data Mining
- APPENDIX: The HIERARCHYID Datatype
- Title: Foundations of SQL Server 2008 R2 Business Intelligence, Second Edition
- Release date: April 2011
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781430233244