A hands-on guided introduction to the most powerful and flexible open-source CAD application with this book and ebook.
- Packed with simple and interesting examples of python coding for the CAD world.
- Understand FreeCAD's approach to modeling and see how Python puts unprecedented power in the hands of users.
- Dive into FreeCAD and its underlying scripting language.
FreeCAD is a general purpose platform for CAD development. It can be extended to use different workbenches to solve different problems. Targeted squarely at the engineering community, FreeCAD is an open source design application built to be extended. Python, the powerful scripting language, is woven deeply into FreeCAD’s DNA and gives users unprecedented power to automate and invent.
"FreeCAD: Solid Modeling with the Power of Python [How to]" is a lean, fast tour of FreeCAD's major workbenches and design philosophy. The reader will get a hands-on introduction to several modeling techniques and learn how Python makes macro automation and design possible.
FreeCAD allows users to design in a variety of ways; from drawing 2D designs as lines and circles to combining primitive solids into complex 3D shapes. Objects can even be created or modified by code you write in Python. FreeCAD even allows power users to extend the application itself with new dialogs, panels, and scripts. This book will not only show you how to get started using FreeCAD in a traditional GUI mode, but will teach you how to harness its powerful scripting language for more power.
Table of contents
- Table of Contents
- FreeCAD [How-to]
- About the Authors
- About the Reviewers
1. FreeCAD [How-to]
- Getting and installing FreeCAD (Must know)
- Understanding the FreeCAD interface (Must know)
- CSG modeling in the Part workbench (Must know)
- Recording and editing a macro (Should know)
- Modeling a simple part with the Draft workbench (Must know)
- Rotating and extruding to create parts (Should know)
- Creating 3D solids with Python (Become an expert)
- Creating a custom dialog to automate a task (Become an expert)
- Modeling with constraints (Must know)
- Using external constraints (Should know)
- Adding or modifying constraints with Python (Become an expert)
- Creating a drawing of a part (Should know)
- Exporting DXF files for other applications (Should know)
- Importing data (Should know)
- Title: FreeCAD [How-to]
- Release date: September 2012
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849518864
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, 2nd Edition
If you’ve ever spent hours renaming files or updating hundreds of spreadsheet cells, you know how …