The rules of marketing have changed. Savvy marketing professionals know that they must engage with individuals directly on the Web, and smart businesses know that customers can become friends—with benefits. Friends With Benefits shows you how to get into the online marketing game. A guide filled with tips, tricks, and real-world case studies, Friends With Benefits shows how you can increase your company's online visibility and Web traffic and win over online influencers.
Friends With Benefits explains how to:
Connect with potential customers and join their conversations
Tweak your website to support your social media marketing campaigns
Promote your products or brand and manage the toughest negative online feedback
Track marketing campaigns, monitor discussions, and measure success
With viral videos racking up millions of views and Twitter mavens influencing thousands of their friends, social media marketing is an essential new tool for every marketer's toolbox. The expert authors of Friend With Benefits guide you through the social media landscape, where authenticity and connections are more important than the size of your marketing budget, and real results can be just a few clicks away.
Table of contents
Friends with Benefits
- INTRODUCTION: A WINDOW INTO THE WORLD OF SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
1. WHAT IS SOCIAL MEDIA?
- The Rise of the Social Network
Five Fundamentals of Social Media
- It's About Democracy: A Communication Revolution
- It's About Community: We Are Family
- It's About Collaboration: Two Heads (or Millions) Really Are Better Than One
- It's About Scope: The Infinite Internet
- It's About Authenticity: A Cult of Honesty
- Social Media Channels: What Are They and How Can You Use Them?
- What Is Social Media Marketing?
- Now for Some Sober Second Thoughts
- Hitting the Trail: What You'll Need to Get Started
- Surfing the Wave of Change
2. GET SOCIAL MEDIA READY
- RSS 101
Entering the Blogosphere: The Basics of Launching a Corporate Blog
- How Do You Start?
- Should You Build Your Own Blogging Software?
- Who Should Blog?
- Why Should You Write a Blog?
- What Should You Write About?
- How Often Should You Blog?
- How Will You Manage All the Feedback?
- Where Should the Blog Live?
- A Few Blogging Don'ts
- Prepping Your Website for Social Media Outreach
- The Social Media News Release
3. FLAGGING A RIDE: FINDING THE RIGHT BLOGGERS AND COMMUNITIES
- Three Buckets of Blogs
- Size Matters, and Yes, It Is a Popularity Contest
- Learn to Read the Road Signs
- Don't Overlook Anecdotal Evidence
- Trust Your Instincts
4. NETIQUETTE: MISS MANNERS FOR THE WEB
- Lesson #1: Listen First
- Lesson #2: Take Baby Steps
- Lesson #3: Make Friends
- Lesson #4: Lay Your Cards on the Table
- Lesson #5: Bloggers Aren't Journalists
- Lesson #6: Your Reputation Precedes You
- Lesson #7: Don't Be a Social Media Spammer
- Lesson #8: Don't Fib
- Who Are These New Influencers, Anyway?
- Etiquette Cheat Sheet
5. STICK OUT YOUR THUMB: DEVISING YOUR PITCH
- Drums or Smoke Signals: Which Channel to Choose?
- Pitch Tactics We've Tried
- Other Blogger Outreach Campaigns We Like
- It's Not Always About the Pitch: Finding Other Creative Ways to Get Noticed
- What Not to Do
- Don't Bribe the Border Guard
- Rules for Following Up
6. MEASURING SUCCESS: HOW TO MONITOR THE WEB
- What Does Success Look Like?
- Be Realistic. Be Humble.
- Tricks of the Trade: Tools for Measuring Success
- Talking Back: How to Respond to Posts
- If You Don't Measure, You Can't Manage
7. IS SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING RISKY BUSINESS?
- Risk #1: Your Campaign Doesn't Get off the Ground
- Risk #2: Blogger Backlash
- Risk #3: The Crowd Talks Back
- Risk #4: You Get Rejected
- Risk #5: Your Initiative Dies on the Vine
- Risk #6: Ignoring Other Marketing Channels
- Risk #7: Too Much Success, Too Soon
- Risk #8: Not Being Proactive
- Risk #9: You Will Be Measured
- Risk #10: Someone Gets Cold Feet
- Proceed with Caution, Not Cowardice
8. DAMAGE CONTROL IN THE DIGITAL AGE
- A Crisis Management Primer
- Can Social Media Make Your Crisis Worse?
- Do You Really Have a Crisis on Your Hands?
- What Is Social Media's Role in Crisis Communications?
- Rules for Making Social Media Work for You in a Crisis
- Social Media Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
9. DOES MYSPACE STILL MATTER?
- MySpace 101
- Marketing with MySpace
- MySpace Marketing Success Stories
- Tips and Tricks for MySpace Marketers
- What's Next for MySpace?
10. UNDERSTANDING FACEBOOK
- Profiles and the Network Effect
- Anatomy of a Facebook Profile
- The Basics
- An Appetite for Fun
- The Future of Facebook and the Facebook of the Future
11. VIDEO MARKETING WITH YOUTUBE AND OTHER VIDEO SHARING SITES
- Why Make YouTube a Marketing Channel?
- Setting Your Expectations and Measuring Results
- What Makes a Popular YouTube Video?
- Funny Beats Pretty
- The Wisdom of Stealth Videos
- Your Latest Picture
- Marketing with YouTube Videos
- Case Study: Elastic Path Makes E-commerce Platforms Fun—No, Really
- YouTube Killed the Video Star
- 12. THE TWITTER REVOLUTION
13. THE POWER OF CROWDS: UNDERSTANDING AND PARTICIPATING IN ONLINE COMMUNITIES
- Social News and the Wisdom of Crowds
- Social Bookmarking and Crowdsourced Curation
- Should You Build Your Own Social Network?
- What About Wikipedia?
- Photo Sharing with Flickr
- Stand Out in Your Crowd
- RECOMMENDED READING
- Title: Friends with Benefits
- Release date: November 2009
- Publisher(s): No Starch Press
- ISBN: 9781593271992
You might also like
Engineers and scientists of all types are often required to write reports, summaries, manuals, guides, and …
Java Coding Problems
Develop your coding skills by exploring Java concepts and techniques such as Strings, Objects and Types, …
Solutions Architect's Handbook
From fundamentals and design patterns to the different strategies for creating secure and reliable architectures in …
Computational Thinking - A beginner's guide to problem-solving and programming
Computational thinking (CT) is a timeless, transferable skill that enables you to think more clearly and …