In this book, Dr. Scott A. Shane systematically helps businesses assess the pros and cons of the decision to franchise. This book focuses squarely on the issues and challenges faced by franchisors. Shane answers key questions such as: What do successful franchisors do differently from unsuccessful franchisors? Why do some companies in an industry choose to franchise while their competitors don't? How does the decision to franchise affect your ability to compete with firms that don't? For businesses that choose to move forward, Shane presents proven principles for every aspect of building a successful franchising system, including: recruiting, selecting, managing and supporting franchisees; establishing territories and pricing; managing expansion; and navigating the unique legal and institutional challenges of franchising.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
1. Is Franchising Right for Your Industry?
- What Is Franchising?
- A Very Brief History of Franchising
- Local Production in Limited Geographic Markets
- Physical Locations Are Helpful
- Industries Involving Local Knowledge
- Industries Demanding Local Discretion
- Standardized, Codified, and Easily Learned
- Brand Names: An Important Competitive Advantage
- Labor-Intensive Industries
- Cost and Risk
- Measuring Performance
- 2. The Advantages of Franchising
3. The Disadvantages of Franchising
- Goal Conflict Between Franchisors and Franchisees
- Transaction Cost Problems
- Innovation and Change
- Financial Returns
- 4. What Business Concepts Can Be Franchised?
5. Key Franchising Policies
- Ownership of Franchised Outlets
- Mechanisms to Control Franchisees
- Term of the Contract
- Franchisee Advertising
- 6. Franchisee Support and Assistance
- 7. Territorial Strategies
- 8. Pricing Franchises
9. Expansion Strategies
- When Should You First Franchise?
- How Many Outlets Should You Own?
- Which Outlets to Franchise
- Geographic Expansion Strategy
- International Expansion
- 10. The Legal and Institutional Environment for Franchising
11. Recruiting, Selecting, and Managing Franchisees
- Recruiting Franchisees
- Selecting Franchisees
- Stages of Screening
- Managing Franchisees
- Chapter 1: Is Franchising Right for Your Industry?
- Chapter 2: The Advantages of Franchising
- Chapter 3: The Disadvantages of Franchising
- Chapter 4: What Business Concepts Can Be Franchised?
- Chapter 5: Key Franchising Policies
- Chapter 6: Franchisee Support and Assistance
- Chapter 7: Territorial Strategies
- Chapter 8: Pricing Franchises
- Chapter 9: Expansion Strategies
- Chapter 10: The Legal and Institutional Environment for Franchising
- Chapter 11: Recruiting, Selecting, and Managing Franchisees
- Title: From Ice Cream to the Internet: Using Franchising to Drive the Growth and Profits of Your Company
- Release date: January 2005
- Publisher(s): PH Professional Business
- ISBN: 013149421X