In this Java 8 course for experienced programmers, Martin Kalin introduces constructs such as lambda expressions, method references, constructor references, and the Java Streams API. This is a code-driven course for the Java programmer who wants real hands-on experience working with functional programming.
You will gain a thorough understanding of why Java 8 was introduced, how functional programming works within data pipelines, and how this functional programming style promotes terse and simple to modify code, run-time efficiency, and thread safety. You will require access to a computer loaded with Java SE 8.
- Learn to program using Java 8's new functional programming constructs
- Discover how functional programming fits into the data pipeline model of computing
- Become familiar with lambda expressions, method references, and constructor references
- Understand how functional constructs work with the Java Streams API
- Gain experience programming in Java 8 with multiple hands-on code centric exercises
Martin Kalin has a Ph.D. from Northwestern University and is a professor in the College of Computing and Digital Media at DePaul University. He enjoys commercial programming and has co-developed large distributed systems in process scheduling and product configuration. He is the author of multiple O'Reilly titles including Building Web Services with Java and Java Web Services: Up and Running.