By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Outline the history of personnel/human resources.
• Identify the qualities recommended for today’s successful HR practitioner.
• Prepare to address various human resources challenges.
• Determine when to establish a human resources function.
• Differentiate between the HR function in small and mid-sized versus large organizations.
• Distinguish between the respective responsibilities of HR specialists and non-HR practitioners.
Several years ago, I was introduced to Jake, a financial executive with a major oil company. When he asked ...