A comprehensive introduction and up-to-date reference to SiC power semiconductor devices covering topics from material properties to applications
Based on a number of breakthroughs in SiC material science and fabrication technology in the 1980s and 1990s, the first SiC Schottky barrier diodes (SBDs) were released as commercial products in 2001. The SiC SBD market has grown significantly since that time, and SBDs are now used in a variety of power systems, particularly switch-mode power supplies and motor controls. SiC power MOSFETs entered commercial production in 2011, providing rugged, high-efficiency switches for high-frequency power systems. In this wide-ranging book, the authors draw on their considerable experience to present both an introduction to SiC materials, devices, and applications and an in-depth reference for scientists and engineers working in this fast-moving field. Fundamentals of Silicon Carbide Technology covers basic properties of SiC materials, processing technology, theory and analysis of practical devices, and an overview of the most important systems applications. Specifically included are:
A complete discussion of SiC material properties, bulk crystal growth, epitaxial growth, device fabrication technology, and characterization techniques.
Device physics and operating equations for Schottky diodes, pin diodes, JBS/MPS diodes, JFETs, MOSFETs, BJTs, IGBTs, and thyristors.
A survey of power electronics applications, including switch-mode power supplies, motor drives, power converters for electric vehicles, and converters for renewable energy sources.
Coverage of special applications, including microwave devices, high-temperature electronics, and rugged sensors.
Fully illustrated throughout, the text is written by recognized experts with over 45 years of combined experience in SiC research and development.
This book is intended for graduate students and researchers in crystal growth, material science, and semiconductor device technology. The book is also useful for design engineers, application engineers, and product managers in areas such as power supplies, converter and inverter design, electric vehicle technology, high-temperature electronics, sensors, and smart grid technology.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Physical Properties of Silicon Carbide
Chapter 3: Bulk Growth of Silicon Carbide
- 3.1 Sublimation Growth
- 3.2 Polytype Control in Sublimation Growth
- 3.3 Defect Evolution and Reduction in Sublimation Growth
- 3.4 Doping Control in Sublimation Growth
- 3.5 High- Temperature Chemical Vapor Deposition
- 3.6 Solution Growth
- 3.7 3C-SiC Wafers Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition
- 3.8 Wafering and Polishing
- 3.9 Summary
- Chapter 4: Epitaxial Growth of Silicon Carbide
- Chapter 5: Characterization Techniques and Defects in Silicon Carbide
- Chapter 6: Device Processing of Silicon Carbide
- Chapter 7: Unipolar and Bipolar Power Diodes
- Chapter 8: Unipolar Power Switching Devices
- Chapter 9: Bipolar Power Switching Devices
- Chapter 10: Optimization and Comparison of Power Devices
- Chapter 11: Applications of Silicon Carbide Devices in Power Systems
- Chapter 12: Specialized Silicon Carbide Devices and Applications
- Appendix A: Incomplete Dopant Ionization in 4H-SiC
- Appendix B: Properties of the Hyperbolic Functions
- Appendix C: Major Physical Properties of Common SiC Polytypes
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Fundamentals of Silicon Carbide Technology: Growth, Characterization, Devices and Applications
- Release date: November 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley-IEEE Press
- ISBN: 9781118313527
You might also like
Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level
Compelling tips and tricks to improve your mental skills Don't you wish you were just a …
Analog Integrated Circuit Design, 2nd Edition
The 2nd Edition of Analog Integrated Circuit Design focuses on more coverage about several types of …
You, Only Better
If you want to be happy, fulfilled and energised its probably best not to obsess over …
Semiconductor Devices: Physics and Technology, 3rd Edition
The awaited revision of Semiconductor Devices: Physics and Technology offers more than 50% new or revised …