In this book leading profesionals in the semiconductor microelectronics field discuss the future evolution of their profession. The following are some of the questions discussed:
Does CMOS technology have a real problem?
Do transistors have to be smaller or just better and made of better materials?
What is to come after semiconductors?
Superconductors or molecular conductors?
Is bottom-up self-assembling the answer to the limitation of top-down lithography?
Is it time for Optics to become a force in computer evolution?
Quantum Computing, Spintronics?
Where is the printable plastic electronics proposed 10 years ago?
Are carbon nanotube transistors the CMOS of the future?
Table of Contents
1 PHYSICS: THE FOUNDATIONS
- Is Fault-Tolerant Quantum Computation Really Possible?
- Quantum Computation – Future of Microelectronics?
- Semiconductor Spintronics: Progress and Challenges
- Towards Semiconductor Spin Logic
- Molecular Meso- and Nanodevices: Are the Molecules Conducting?
- The Problem of a Perfect Lens Made From a Slab With Negative Refraction
- Is There a Linewidth Theory for Semiconductor Lasers?
- Fermi Liquid Behavior of GaAs Quantum Wires
2 BIOLOGY: WE ARE ALL ZOA
- Towards Molecular Medicine
- Interfacing the Brain – With Microelectronics?
- Synthetic Biology: Synthesis and Modification of a Chemical Called Poliovirus
- Guided Evolution in Interacting Microchemostat Arrays for Optimization of Photobacterial Hydrogen Production
- Improvements in Light Emitters by Controlling Spontaneous Emission: From LEDs to Biochips
3 ELECTRONICS: CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS
- Nanomanufacturing Technology: Exa-Units at Nano-Dollars
- 32 nm: Lithography at a Crossroad
- Physical Limits of Silicon CMOS: Real Showstopper or Wrong Problem?
- Will the Insulated Gate Transistor Concept Survive Next Decade?
- Scaling Limits of Silicon CMOS and Non-Silicon Opportunities
- Carbon-Nanotube Solutions for the Post-CMOS-Scaling World
- Alternatives to Silicon: Will Our Best Be Anywhere Good Enough in Time?
- MRAM Downscaling Challenges
- Atomically Controlled Processing for Future Si-Based Devices
- Ultimate VLSI Clocking Using Passive Serial Distribution
- Origin of 1/f Noise in MOS Devices: Concluding a Noisy Debate
- Quasiballistic Transport in Nano-MOSFETs
- Absolute Negative Resistance in Ballistic Variable Threshold Field Effect Transistor
- Formation of Three-Dimensional SiGe Quantum Dot Crystals
- Robust Metallic Interconnects for Flexible Electronics and Bioelectronics
4 PHOTONICS: LIGHT TO THE RESCUE
- Silicon Photonics – Optics to the Chip at Last?
- The Future of Single- to Multi-Band Detector Technologies
- Terahertz Quantum Cascade Lasers and Real-Time T-Ray Imaging
- Terahertz Spectroscopy and Imaging
- Wavelength Tuning of Interband Cascade Lasers Based on the Stark Effect
- Intersubband Quantum-Box Lasers: An Update
- A New Class of Semiconductors Using Quantum Confinement of Silicon in a Dielectric Matrix
- Merging Nanoepitaxy and Nanophotonics
- Quantum Control of the Dynamics of a Semiconductor Quantum Well
- LIST OF CONTRIBUTORS
- Title: Future Trends in Microelectronics: Up the Nano Creek
- Release date: May 2007
- Publisher(s): Wiley-IEEE Press
- ISBN: 9780470081464