Create ?AAA' quality game audio with new features and tools built for Unity
About This Book
- Explore the basics of audio development in Unity to create spatial sound, mixing, effects, composition, adaptive audio and more.
- Leverage the Audio Mixer of Unity 5.x to create blockbuster sound and music for your game.
- Learn about developing professional audio for games with FMOD Studio and composing original music with Reaper.
- Build amazing audio synchronized graphic visualizations with Unity.
- Understand how real-time character lip syncing can be implemented.
Who This Book Is For
The ideal target audience for this book will be game developers, both Indie as well as semi pro. No prior knowledge of Unity and audio development is assumed,
What You Will Learn
- Develop game audio and other audio effects with Unity
- Getting familiar with the new Audio Mixer introduced in Unity 5
- Implement dynamic and adaptive audio using various tools and strategies
- Explore interesting ways to incorporate audio into a game with sound visualization
- Use 3rd party professional audio development tools like FMOD
- Compose original music and record vocals
- Understand and troubleshoot audio performance issues
Game Audio is one of the key components in making a game successful and it is quite popular in the gaming industry. So if you are a game developer with an eye on capturing the gamer market then this book is the right solution for you.
In this book, we will take you through a step by step journey which will teach you to implement original and engaging soundtracks and SFX with Unity 5.x. You will be firstly introduced to the basics of game audio and sound development in Unity. After going through the core topics of audio development: audio sources, spatial sound, mixing, effects, and more; you will then have the option of delving deeper into more advanced topics like dynamic and adaptive audio. You will also learn to develop dynamic and adaptive audio using the Unity Audio Mixer. Further, you will learn how professional third party tools like FMOD are used for audio development in Unity. You will then go through the creation of sound visualization techniques and creating your own original music using the simple yet powerful audio workstation Reaper. Lastly, you will go through tips, techniques and strategies to help you optimize game audio performance or troubleshoot issues.
At the end of the book, you'll have gained the skills to implement professional sound and music. Along with a good base knowledge audio and music principles you can apply across a range of other game development tools.
Style and approach
This book will have a step by step practical approach where downloadable free games will be given with the book and readers will be free to work with them.
Table of contents
Introducing Game Audio with Unity
- Introduction to game audio
- Getting started with unity
- Importing audio into unity
- Audio sources and listeners
- 3D sound and spatial blending
- Scripting Audio
Introduction to the Audio Mixer
- Introducing the Unity Audio mixer
- Shaping audio with effects
- The master mixer and controlling signal flow
- Routing audio signals in the mixer to effects
- The duck volume effect
- Advanced Audio Mixing
- Using the Audio Mixer for Adaptive Audio
- Introduction to FMOD
- FMOD for Dyanmic and Adaptive Audio
- Visualizing Audio in Games
- Character Lip Syncing and Vocals
- Composing Music
- Audio Performance and Troubleshooting
- Title: Game Audio Development with Unity 5.X
- Release date: June 2017
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781787286450
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Hands-On Game Development Patterns with Unity 2019
Write maintainable, fault-tolerant, and cleaner game codes by understanding the standard development patterns and battle-tested practices. …
Practical Game Design
Design accessible and creative games across genres, platforms, and development realities About This Book Implement the …
Learn Python 3 the Hard Way: A Very Simple Introduction to the Terrifyingly Beautiful World of Computers and Code, First Edition
You Will Learn Python 3! Zed Shaw has perfected the world's best system for learning Python …