Speaking and Listening
Generic activities and games
What’s That Sound?
Developing good listening skills is vital for learning. This activity helps to develop concentration and can be carried out in spare moments during the day.
- To develop phonological awareness.
- To enhance concentration.
- A range of containers – plastic boxes, bags, cardboard cartons
- A range of materials that make a noise when shaken or handled – tissue paper, drawing pins and some containers, small stones, shells, musical instruments
What to do
- This works well if the children sit in a circle. It is useful to have a familiar auditory prompt, such as a tambourine that can be shaken or tapped to gain their attention.
- Ask the ...