Digital roots is an activity to help children improve their division, reasoning and explanation skills.
- To divide a range of 2-digit numbers by a 1-digit number.
- To refine pencil-and-paper methods.
- This is an activity for two players
- Two sets of 1–9 digit cards
- Paper and pencils
What to do
- Give each pair a set of 1–9 digit cards.
- Players shuffle the cards and then take two to make a 2-digit number. For example, 59.
- Players then find the digital root of this number. For example, 5 + 9 = 14, 1 + 4 = 5.
- When the digital root has been found, players then divide 59 by this number. So, 59 ÷ 5 = 11 remainder 4 or remainder .
- Play continues like this and ...