How can game mechanics and game design help you deliver an engaging, sticky and viral experience to your customers? This video shows you how to take advantage of gamification—the secret ingredient that's fueled the success of Foursquare, Nike+, Groupon, and many other websites and mobile apps.
Gamification expert Gabe Zichermann demonstrates the design strategy and tactics you need for integrating game mechanics into any kind of consumer-facing experience, either new or existing. It can be a complicated process, given hundreds of technical and process options available. In this video, Gabe provides a series of clear steps for developers, producers, and product managers who want their websites to deliver powerful consumer engagement and enjoy viral growth.
Key Takeaways Include:
- Understand the true power of games and how they work with your business
- Unpack user motivations and apply game thinking to understand what drives them
- Dive deeply into the levers and game mechanics that social game designers use to create stellar engagement
- Learn a process to connect player motivations with game design and game mechanics in your business context
- Reverse-engineer the best and worst implementations of key game mechanics from leading vendors
- Dig down into key game mechanics like points, badges, leaderboards, onboarding, challenges and more
- Get clarity on implementation, technology and agile techniques
Complete a set of short challenges and receive access to a series of exclusive supplemental videos from thought leaders in the gamification industry. Visit GamificationU.com after ordering the video to gain access.
Table of Contents
- 1) Introduction to Gamification 00:07:27
- 2) Foundations & Basics 00:21:12
- 3) Player Motivation 00:07:03
- 4) Player Types 00:09:29
- 5) Progression to Mastery 00:21:12
- 6) Be the Sherpa 00:08:45
- 7) Point Systems 00:19:21
- 8) Levels 00:15:23
- 9) Leaderboards 00:08:13
- 10) Badges & Customization 00:13:05
- 11) Onboarding 00:10:06
- 12) Challenges & Engagement Loops 00:13:16
- 13) Implementation, Agile Processes & Gaming the System 00:25:02
- 14) Technical Considerations & Next Steps 00:08:22
- Title: Gamification Master Class with Gabe Zichermann
- Release date: May 2011
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449309343