- To state the need for the Phase Rule chapter.
- To define and provide examples and explanation for phase, component, and degrees of freedom.
- To derive Gibbs phase rule including regular and reduced phase rules.
- To elaborate the applications of phase rule starting with one component systems such as water and sulphur and two-component system in general with two miscible liquids.
- To end the chapter with understanding of the phase rule.
NEED FOR THE CHAPTER
There are several quantitative measures such as exact melting point (solid to liquid), boiling point (liquid to vapour) and Raoult’s law (liquid to vapour at a given temperate) known in physical chemistry. Phase rule is qualitative. Therefore, in this chapter ...