Hone your analytic talents and become part of the next big thing
Getting a Big Data Job For Dummies is the ultimate guide to landing a position in one of the fastest-growing fields in the modern economy. Learn exactly what "big data" means, why it's so important across all industries, and how you can obtain one of the most sought-after skill sets of the decade. This book walks you through the process of identifying your ideal big data job, shaping the perfect resume, and nailing the interview, all in one easy-to-read guide.
Companies from all industries, including finance, technology, medicine, and defense, are harnessing massive amounts of data to reap a competitive advantage. The demand for big data professionals is growing every year, and experts forecast an estimated 1.9 million additional U.S. jobs in big data by 2015. Whether your niche is developing the technology, handling the data, or analyzing the results, turning your attention to a career in big data can lead to a more secure, more lucrative career path. Getting a Big Data Job For Dummies provides an overview of the big data career arc, and then shows you how to get your foot in the door with topics like:
The education you need to succeed
The range of big data career path options
An overview of major big data employers
A plan to develop your job-landing strategy
Your analytic inclinations may be your ticket to long-lasting success. In a highly competitive job market, developing your data skills can create a situation where you pick your employer rather than the other way around. If you're ready to get in on the ground floor of the next big thing, Getting a Big Data Job For Dummies will teach you everything you need to know to get started today.
Table of contents
Part I: Getting a Job in Big Data
Chapter 1: The Big Picture of Big Data Jobs
- How We Got Here and Where We’re Headed
- Exploring Big Data Career Paths
- Looking at Organizations That Hire Big Data Professionals
Chapter 2: Seeing Yourself in a Big Data Job
- Planning Your Journey into a New Frontier
- Finding a Future Career in Big Data
- Sizing Up Your Skills
- Charting Your Path
- Chapter 3: Key Big Data Concepts
- Chapter 1: The Big Picture of Big Data Jobs
Part II: Getting Your Big Data Education
- Chapter 4: Roles in Big Data Revealed
- Chapter 5: Foundations of a Big Data Education
- Chapter 6: Making Your Own Way (For the Experienced Professional)
Chapter 7: Knowing Your Big Data Tools
- Database Tools You Need to Know
- Big Data Framework Technologies
- Analysis Tools You Should Know
- Keeping Current with Market Developments
Part III: Finding a Job with the Right Organization
- Chapter 8: Life as a Consultant
- Chapter 9: Working as an In-House Big Data Specialist
- Chapter 10: Living on the Edge with a Startup
- Chapter 11: Serving in the Public Sector or Academia
Part IV: Developing a Job-Landing Strategy
- Chapter 12: Building Your Network and Brand
Chapter 13: Creating a Winning Résumé
- Understanding the Importance of a Résumé
- Navigating the Hiring Process
- Getting Past the Gatekeeper
- Knowing the Do’s and Don’ts for Résumés
- Crafting the Right Résumé for the Position
- Reviewing Sample Résumé Sections
Chapter 14: Preparing to Nail Your Interview
- Understanding Why Interviews Are Important
- Preparing for the Interview
- Telling Your Story
- Unlocking Success in a Behavioral Interview
- Unlocking the Key Aspects to a Good Case Interview
- Showing Motivation and Excitement
Part V: The Part of Tens
- Chapter 15: Ten Ways to Maximize Social Media in Your Job Hunt
Chapter 16: Ten Interview Questions and Answers You Need to Know
- Can You Tell Me about Yourself?
- What Are Your Goals?
- Why Do You Want to Work Here?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Why Do You Want to Leave Your Current Job?
- Can You Give Me an Example of a Time When You Had to Make a Decision with Limited Information?
- How Do Others View You?
- Can You Tell Me about a Time When You Made a Mistake?
- Can You Tell Me about Some of Your Accomplishments?
- Have You Ever Disagreed with Your Boss? If So, How Did You Handle It?
Chapter 17: Ten Free Data Science Tools and Applications
- Making Custom Web-Based Data Visualizations with Free R Packages
- Checking Out More Scraping, Collecting, and Handling Tools
- Checking Out More Data Exploration Tools
- Checking Out More Web-Based Visualization Tools
- Part VI: Appendixes
- About the Author
- Cheat Sheet
- More Dummies Products
- Title: Getting a Big Data Job For Dummies
- Release date: January 2015
- Publisher(s): For Dummies
- ISBN: 9781118903407
You might also like
Statistics for Big Data For Dummies
The fast and easy way to make sense of statistics for big data Does the subject …
Data Science Strategy For Dummies
All the answers to your data science questions Over half of all businesses are using data …
Data Science For Dummies, 2nd Edition
Your ticket to breaking into the field of data science! Jobs in data science are projected …
Learning Python, 5th Edition
Get a comprehensive, in-depth introduction to the core Python language with this hands-on book. Based on …