Your friendly guide to getting a job in coding
Getting a Coding Job For Dummies explains how a coder works in (or out of) an organization, the key skills any job requires, the basics of the technologies a coding pro will encounter, and how to find formal or informal ways to build your skills. Plus, it paints a picture of the world a coder lives in, outlines how to build a resume to land a coding job, and so much more.
Coding is one of the most in-demand skills in today's job market, yet there seems to be an ongoing deficit of candidates qualified to take these jobs. Getting a Coding Job For Dummies provides a road map for students, post-grads, career switchers, and anyone else interested in starting a career in coding. Inside this friendly guide, you'll find the steps needed to learn the hard and soft skills of coding—and the world of programming at large. Along the way, you'll set a clear career path based on your goals and discover the resources that can best help you build your coding skills to make you a suitable job candidate.
Covers the breadth of job opportunities as a coder
Includes tips on educational resources for coders and ways to build a positive reputation
Shows you how to research potential employers and impress interviewers
Offers access to online video, articles, and sample resume templates
If you're interested in pursuing a job in coding, but don't know the best way to get there, Getting a Coding Job For Dummies is your compass!
Table of contents
Part I: Getting a Job in Coding
- Chapter 1: Seeing the Big Picture
- Chapter 2: Exploring Coding Career Paths
- Chapter 3: Working as a Coder
- Chapter 4: Understanding Key Coding Concepts
Part II: Technologies Used When Coding
- Chapter 5: Creating a Website
- Chapter 6: Programming with Ruby and Python
- Chapter 7: Creating Mobile Apps
- Chapter 8: Analyzing Big Data
Part III: Getting Your Coding Education
- Chapter 9: Coding on Your Own
- Chapter 10: Going to Boot Camp
- Chapter 11: Exploring Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees
- Chapter 12: Training on the Job
Part IV: Launching Your Career Path
- Chapter 13: Building Your Portfolio Site
- Chapter 14: Networking for Opportunities
- Chapter 15: Interviewing and Becoming a Star
Part V: The Part of Tens
Chapter 16: Ten Interview Questions Decoded
- Can You Walk Me through Your Resume?
- What Recent Project Have Your Worked On?
- Why Do You Want to Work Here?
- What Feature Would You Add to or Remove from Product X?
- What Team Conflict Have You Resolved?
- What Is Your Ideal Company and Job?
- What Is Your Superpower?
- Which Three Strengths and Weaknesses Would Your Friends Use to Describe You?
- What Do You Know to Be True that Most People Disagree With or Find Surprising?
- What Questions Do You Have for Me?
- Chapter 17: Ten Job Search Strategies
Chapter 18: Ten Coding Myths
- You Must Be Good at Math
- You Must Have Studied Engineering
- You Can Learn Coding in a Few Weeks
- You Need a Great Idea to Start Coding
- Ruby Is Better than Python
- Only College Graduates Receive Coding Offers
- You Must Have Experience
- Tech Companies Don’t Hire Women or Minorities
- The Highest Paying Coding Jobs Are in San Francisco
- Your Previous Experience Isn’t Relevant
- Chapter 19: Ten Coding Job Websites
- Chapter 16: Ten Interview Questions Decoded
- Talk the Talk
- About the Author
- Cheat Sheet
- Connect with Dummies
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Getting a Coding Job For Dummies®
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119050940
You might also like
Ace the Programming Interview: 160 Questions and Answers for Success
Be prepared to answer the most relevant interview questions and land the job Programmers are in …
Tiny Python Projects
The projects are tiny, but the rewards are big: each chapter in Tiny Python Projects challenges …
Programming Interviews For Dummies
Get ready for interview success Programming jobs are on the rise, and the field is predicted …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …