Chapter 11. Authenticating users, managing sessions, and securing APIs
This chapter covers
- Adding authentication in the MEAN stack
- Using Passport to manage authentication in Express
- Generating JSON Web Tokens in Express
- Registering and logging in a user
- Securing API endpoints in Express
- Using local storage and Angular to manage a user session
In this chapter we’re going to improve upon the existing application by making users log in before they can leave reviews. This is an important topic, as many web applications need to let users log in and manage a session.
Figure 11.1 shows where we’re at in the overall plan, now working with the MongoDB database, Express API, and Angular single-page application.