Getting Multi-Channel Distribution Right provides a comprehensive treatment of modern distribution strategy that is analytically solid, clearly written, and relevant for managers as well as MBA and executive MBA students, and the professors who train them. It covers concepts, metrics, tools, and strategic frameworks for managing distribution in physical and digital channels.
Focusing on the challenges of managing multiple channels of distribution in an evolving marketplace—rather than the process of designing a distribution channel from scratch—it leans more heavily on metrics and tools and incorporates perspectives from academic research, as well as in-depth case studies from marketing and general management practice.
- Introduces an organizing framework of pull and push marketing for how suppliers work together with their channel partners.
- Integrates across physical and digital, independent and company-owned, routes to market.
- Maps the functions of traditional and newer intermediaries in the channel ecosystem and identifies the root causes of conflict between them.
- Provides tools and frameworks for how much distribution coverage is required and where.
- Shows how product line, pricing, trade promotions, and other channel incentives can help to coordinate multiple channels and manage conflict.
- Illustrates how push and pull metrics can be combined into valuable dashboards for identifying positive feedback opportunities and sustaining the channel partnership.
With the help of Getting Multi-Channel Distribution Right you’ll discover how to successfully develop, execute, and adapt distribution strategy to the evolving marketplace.
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- CHAPTER 1: Distribution Channels Today
PART I: THE BEDROCK OF CHANNEL FUNCTIONS, POWER, AND CONFLICT
- CHAPTER 2: Push, Pull, and Total Channel Performance
- CHAPTER 3: Root Causes of Channel Conflict
- CHAPTER 4: Middlemen in Today's Channel Ecosystem and Their Functions
- CHAPTER 5: The Sources and Indicators of Power in the Channel
- CHAPTER 6: Using Power Without Using It Up
PART II: METRICS, TOOLS, AND FRAMEWORKS FOR GETTING THE RIGHT DISTRIBUTION
- CHAPTER 7: Metrics for Intensity and Depth of Distribution Coverage
- CHAPTER 8: What Are You Managing Towards?*
- CHAPTER 9: The Challenge of Optimizing Distribution Breadth
- CHAPTER 10: Using Velocity Graphs to Guide Sustainable Distribution Coverage
- CHAPTER 11: Augmenting the Distribution Mix: Digital Channels and Own Bricks and Clicks
- CHAPTER 12: Three Cases on Online Distribution
PART III: ALIGNING THE MARKETING MIX TO MANAGE DISTRIBUTION
CHAPTER 13: Using the Product Line to Manage Multiple Channels
- 13.1 INTRODUCTION
- 13.2 CHANNEL-MOTIVATED EXPANSION OF SKUS, BRANDS, AND CATEGORIES
- 13.3 PORTFOLIOS OF SKUS FOR A PORTFOLIO OF CHANNELS
- 13.4 PORTFOLIOS OF BRANDS TO PROTECT EQUITY AND MITIGATE CHANNEL CONFLICT
- 13.5 EXPANDING TO SUPPORT AN EXCLUSIVE OR DIRECT CHANNEL
- 13.6 CAUTIONS AT ALL THREE LEVELS OF PRODUCT LINE EXPANSION
- 13.7 CONCLUSION
CHAPTER 14: Harnessing the Power of Price and Price Promotions
- 14.1 INTRODUCTION
- 14.2 WHY ONE “EVERYDAY” PRICE TO RESELLERS IS USUALLY NOT A SMART IDEA
- 14.3 THE MANY VARIETIES OF TRADE PROMOTIONS
- 14.4 THE CHALLENGE OF ASSESSING THE COSTS AND PROFITABILITY OF TRADE PROMOTIONS
- APPENDIX: TRADE PROMOTION, RETAIL PRICE DISCRIMINATION, AND PROMOTION “COST”: A NUMERICAL EXAMPLE
CHAPTER 15: Managing Prices and Incentives Across Channels
- 15.1 INTRODUCTION
- 15.2 THE GOALS AND CHALLENGES OF CHANNEL INCENTIVES
- 15.3 HOW TO MAINTAIN RESELLER PRICES
- 15.4 DECIDE WHETHER TO DIFFERENTIATE OR HARMONIZE ACROSS MULTIPLE CHANNELS
- 15.5 CHALLENGES EVEN WHEN YOU CONTROL RETAIL PRICE DIRECTLY
- 15.6 CONCLUSION
- APPENDIX: EXCERPTS FROM MIZUNO’S MAP POLICY
- CHAPTER 16: Summary: Dashboards and Principles for Managing New Directions in Distribution
- CHAPTER 13: Using the Product Line to Manage Multiple Channels
- Author Index
- Subject Index
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Getting Multi-Channel Distribution Right
- Release date: April 2020
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119632887
You might also like
Bayesian Statistics the Fun Way
Probability and statistics are increasingly important in a huge range of professions. But many people use …
The Self-Service Data Roadmap
Data-driven insights are a key competitive advantage for any industry today, but deriving insights from raw …
Machine Learning with Python for Everyone
The Complete Beginner's Guide to Understanding and Building Machine Learning Systems with Python will help you …
Natural Language Processing in Action
Natural Language Processing in Action is your guide to building machines that can read and interpret …