Turn your iPhone or iPad into the hub of a distributed sensor network with the help of an Arduino microcontroller. In this video course, you’ll learn how to connect an external sensor to an iOS device and have them talk to each other through Arduino. You’ll also build an iOS application that will parse the sensor values it receives and plot the resulting measurements, all in real-time.
iOS processes data from its own onboard sensors, and now you can extend its reach with simple, low-cost projects. If you’re an Objective-C programmer who likes to experiment, this book explains the basics of Arduino and other hardware components you need—and lets you have fun in the process.
- Learn how to connect the Arduino platform to any iOS device
- Build a simple application to control your Arduino directly from an iPad
- Gather measurements from an ultrasonic range finder and display them on your iPhone
- Connect an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to an XBee radio network
- Explore other methods for connecting external sensors to iOS, including Ethernet and the MIDI protocol
By the end of the course, you'll be able to use your phone to talk to serial hardware, build a sensor network, and more.
Table of contents
- Introducing the Redpark Cable 00:08:22
- Introducing the Arduino 00:07:33
- A Simple Push Button Application 00:19:22
- Building a Serial Console Part 1 00:22:33
- Building a Serial Console Part 2 00:28:15
- The Paduino Application 00:45:12
- Connecting to Sensors Using an Arduino 00:58:40
- Connecting to Sensors Directly 00:08:06
- Using XBee Networks 00:25:07
- Other Ways to Connect & Closing Out 00:05:13
- Title: Getting Started with Arduino and iOS
- Release date: May 2012
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 0636920026549
You might also like
The Art of Hacking (Video Collection)
26 Hours of Video Instruction Description Your complete guide to help you get up and running …
Raspberry Pi Cookbook, 3rd Edition
With millions of new users and several new models, the Raspberry Pi ecosystem continues to expand—along …
Exploring Arduino, 2nd Edition
The bestselling beginner Arduino guide, updated with new projects! Exploring Arduino makes electrical engineering and embedded …
Get Started with Arduino: A Hands-On Introductory Workshop
Have you always wanted to create electronic gizmos that can interact with the real world? Learn …