Getting Started with CNC is the definitive introduction to working with affordable desktop and benchtop CNCs, written by the creator of the popular open hardware CNC, the Shapeoko. Accessible 3D printing introduced the masses to computer-controlled additive fabrication. But the flip side of that is subtractive fabrication: instead of adding material to create a shape like a 3D printer does, a CNC starts with a solid piece of material and takes away from it. Although inexpensive 3D printers can make great things with plastic, a CNC can carve highly durable pieces out of a block of aluminum, wood, and other materials. This book covers the fundamentals of designing for--and working with--affordable ($500-$3000) CNCs.
Table of contents
1. What Is CNC?
- Digital Fabrication
- Why Computer Controlled?
- How Do Computer-Controlled Machines Work?
- What Can I Make?
- 2. Mechanical Overview
- 3. End Mills and Cutting
- 4. CAD: Draw or Model Something
- 5. CAM: Make Toolpaths
6. CAD/CAM Project: No Machine Necessary!
- Wooden Racer Project
- Step 1: Create the Digital Design
- Step 2: Configure MakerCAM
- Step 3: Import and Center Racer SVG File
- Step 4: Create Wheel Toolpaths
- Step 5: Create Body Toolpaths
- Step 6: Calculate Toolpaths
- Step 7: Export G-code
- Step 8: Vizualize Toolpaths
- 7. Creating Motion: Electromechanical Overview
8. G-Code: Speaking CNC
- Drawing a Square: Instructions for Humans
- Square-Drawing Instructions for Machines
- G-code Square Breakdown
- G-code Rules
- Feeds, Speeds, and Tools
- Diving Further into G-Codes
- 9. Practical Machining Tips
- 10. Conclusion
- A. Resources
- Title: Getting Started with CNC
- Release date: August 2016
- Publisher(s): Make: Community
- ISBN: 9781457183362
You might also like
Exploring Arduino, 2nd Edition
The bestselling beginner Arduino guide, updated with new projects! Exploring Arduino makes electrical engineering and embedded …
CNC Machining Handbook: Building, Programming, and Implementation
A Practical Guide to CNC Machining Get a thorough explanation of the entire CNC process from …
Machining For Dummies
Start a successful career in machining Metalworking is an exciting field that's currently experiencing a shortage …
Guide to Essential Math, 2nd Edition
This book reminds students in junior, senior and graduate level courses in physics, chemistry and engineering …