Understand how to use one of the most popular version control systems out there. Mixing shorter, theoretical segments with longer, practically-oriented tasks that give concrete demonstrations of Git in action, this video teaches you motivations and typical goals and then shows you how to achieve them.
You will begin by learning the principles behind versioning and how versioning is affected by being distributed. After explaining what Git is and giving reasons why you might want to use it, this video then shows how to set up and configure Git before moving onto explaining how to create Git repositories. The basics of working locally are explained before the distributed aspect is then introduced. This leads to a discussion of working with remote repositories, as well as how to track a project’s history and even change it by undoing your actions.
This video is designed to be appealing both to users who are command-line oriented as well as those who are more comfortable using Git via a graphical interface. Each feature is demonstrated using both methods in a split-screen approach. The tools for carrying out tasks in Git are demonstrated step-by-step, allowing you to see exactly how they should be carried out in real-time.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- The theoretical principles behind Git
- How to install and configure Git
- How to create and clone Git repositories
- How to perform basic tasks including tracking, staging, committing, undoing, and viewing history
- How to work with remote repositories.
WHO THIS VIDEO IS FOR:
The typical viewer would be a software developer with at least basic programming skills and a small amount of experience. They may possibly have worked with other, centralized version control systems. They may, for example, have begun working in a company that has adopted Git, or are getting into open source development, and therefore want to learn how to use Git.
Table of contents
- Introduction 00:01:34
- What is Version Control? 00:06:34
- Installation and Setup 00:05:05
- Creating Repositories 00:04:13
- Making and Recording Changes 00:08:00
- Viewing HIstory 00:04:53
- Undoing Actions 00:06:35
- Distributed Version Control 00:04:27
- Cloning Repositories 00:03:04
- Working With Remote Repositories 00:14:13
- Title: Getting Started with Git: Understand the Git Version Control System and How to Use it at a Basic Level
- Release date: July 2020
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484263532
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …