Book DescriptionBen & Jerry's. Stonyfield Farm. The Body Shop. Tom's of Maine. All leaders in the socially responsible business movement—and all eventually sold to mega-corporations. Do values-driven businesses have to choose between staying small, selling off, or selling out?
Jill Bamburg says no. Based on intensive interviews with more than thirty growth-oriented, mission-driven entrepreneurs—including American Apparel, Give Something Back, Wild Planet Toys, Organic Valley Family of Farms, and Village Real Estate—her book explodes the myths of scale from both ends of the spectrum. She debunks both the limiting “small is beautiful” approach as well as the “you have to sell out to grow” mandate.
Focusing on the unique challenges that socially conscious companies face, Getting to Scale addresses the issues that affect all businesses:
Production and personnel
Access to capital and markets
Changes in organizational structure
Ownership and control
Filled with practical and tested advice, Getting to Scale provides a blueprint for socially responsible entrepreneurs in any industry who want to benefit larger groups of customers, have a greater positive impact on their communities, and maintain their independence by scaling up their enterprises.
Table of Contents
- COVER PAGE
- TITLE PAGE
- COPYRIGHT PAGE
- INTRODUCTION: THERE IS ANOTHER WAY
- CHAPTER ONE: MISSION COMES FIRST
- CHAPTER TWO: ANY BUSINESS CAN DO IT
- CHAPTER THREE: ORGANIC IS THE WAY TO GROW
- CHAPTER FOUR: FINANCE YOUR INDEPENDENCE
- CHAPTER FIVE: BUILD YOUR VALUES INTO THE BRAND
- CHAPTER SIX: MATCH MANUFACTURING TO MISSION
- CHAPTER SEVEN: MORPH EARLY AND OFTEN
- CHAPTER EIGHT: FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION
- CHAPTER NINE: THE SOFT STUFF IS THE HARDEST
- CHAPTER TEN: GETTING TO SCALE: IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- ABOUT BERRETT-KOEHLER PUBLISHERS
- BE CONNECTED
- Title: Getting to Scale
- Release date: August 2006
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781605090153