Understand how to use Git and GitHub confidently by learning the daily Git workflow
About This Video
- Explore how Git and GitHub work, along with their important aspects
- Learn how to manage files, commits, and branches
- Create custom branches and discover how to manage pull requests
This course is designed to guide you through working with Git and GitHub. You will start by learning how to install Git on Windows, Mac, and Linux and then understand how to use it on the command line. Next, you will get to grips with configuring Git on a computer and creating, cloning, and adding files to a GitHub repository. The videos will also guide you through creating custom branches and tags, opening and managing GitHub issues, and opening and managing pull requests.
All along, the course follows a practical approach, ensuring that you work through plenty of real-life examples. This will give you hands-on experience in building your own repositories, forking the repo, and even safely opening a pull request on your work. Everything you will learn about Git and GitHub in this course is completely transferable to GitLab and Bitbucket.
In a bonus section, we will also learn how to use GitHub Pages to deploy your project.
By the end of this course, you will be well-versed with Git and GitHub fundamentals, and have the skills you need to work through open-source projects.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 : Introduction
Chapter 2 : Beginner Git
- Why the command line?
- Installing Git (Windows Only)
- Installing Git (MacOS and Linux)
- Getting started with GitHub
- Configuring Git on Your Computer
- Creating and Adding an SSH Key
- How to Clone a Repository
- What is Cloning, Anyway?
- How to Create a New Repository on GitHub
- How to Push to Your GitHub Repository
- Git Status
- Unstaging a File
- Undeleting a File
- Git Origins and Remotes
- Git Branching
- Committing to a New Branch
- Merging Branch into Master
- Seeing Your Git History
- Downloading Updates from GitHub
- How to Get Updates from GitHub
- Checkout: Code-Time Travel
- README.md Files
- Chapter 3 : Advanced Git
- Chapter 4 : Bonus - Launching Your Website with GitHub Pages
- Chapter 5 : Summary
- Title: Git Essentials: Become a Git and GitHub Ninja
- Release date: April 2020
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781800565630
You might also like
Python for Data Analysis, 2nd Edition
Get complete instructions for manipulating, processing, cleaning, and crunching datasets in Python. Updated for Python 3.6, …
Learning React, 2nd Edition
If you want to learn how to build efficient React applications, this is your book. Ideal …
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …