8Proofreading for Clarity
By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Proofread your writing for clarity of meaning.
• Use parallel structures to strengthen your writing.
• Eliminate shifts in tense, mood, and voice in your writing.
• Use word order and sentence variety to strengthen your writing.
• Avoid common pitfalls.
• Avoid being repetitive and negative in your writing.
CLARITY OF MEANING. IS IT DOWN PAT?
Now that we have covered the grammar basics, it is time to turn our attention to proofreading. Proofreading is a process (see Exhibit 9–4). After you have written your rough draft, you go back and perfect it. ...