This chapter shows you how to get and use BackTrack, a Ubuntu (Debian) Linux distribution for penetration testers that can run from DVD, USB thumb drive, or hard drive installation. In this chapter, we cover the following topics:
• BackTrack: the big picture
• Installing BackTrack to DVD or USB thumb drive
• Using the BackTrack ISO directly within a virtual machine
• Persisting changes to your BackTrack installation
• Exploring the BackTrack Boot Menu
• Updating BackTrack
BackTrack is a free, well-designed penetration-testing Linux workstation built and refined by professional security engineers. It has all the tools necessary for penetration testing, and they are all ...