Learn the advantages of using Groovy by itself and with existing Java projects. This video workshop takes you into the heart of this JVM language and shows you how Groovy can help increase your productivity through dynamic language features similar to those of Python, Ruby, and Smalltalk.
Presenter and Java consultant Ken Kousen demonstrates how writing anything from a simple build script to a full scale application is much easier with Groovy than with Java. You’ll quickly learn how to add Groovy to your projects, and then explore the language through a host of examples and demonstrations.
Once you complete this course, check out Ken’s other videos on the subject: Practical Groovy and Mastering Groovy.
- Walk through Groovy’s basic data types
- Use the “slashy” string syntax to define regular expressions
- Learn how operator overloading in the libraries simplifies your code
- Control and customize all the natural defaults and autogenerated code in POGOs
- Get demonstrations on using closures, and mixing Java and Groovy classes together
- Know when and how to use Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) transformations
- Parse and generate both XML and JSON
- Access RESTful web services with ease
Ken Kousen, President of Kousen IT, Inc., is a technical trainer, mentor, and consultant in all areas related to Java, specializing in Android, Spring, Hibernate/JPA, Groovy, and Grails. He is the author of Making Java Groovy (Manning) and the upcoming O’Reilly book, Gradle for Android.
Table of contents
- Installing Groovy
- Numbers and Strings
- Plain Old Groovy Objects (POGOs)
- Basics of Closures
- Miscellaneous Operators and Techniques
- Title: Groovy Programming Fundamentals
- Release date: May 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491926253
You might also like
Advanced Java Development
You’re a junior developer with a couple of years of Java under your belt and you’ve …
Practical Groovy Programming
Take your basic Groovy skills to the next level with this practical video workshop. Presenter and …
Expanded Edition (August 2018) Updated with Design Patterns episodes from the Clean Code series from Clean …
Learn how to implement Gradle, the Groovy-based build automation system that can help you build and …