Learn the advantages of using Groovy by itself and with existing Java projects. This video workshop takes you into the heart of this JVM language and shows you how Groovy can help increase your productivity through dynamic language features similar to those of Python, Ruby, and Smalltalk.
Presenter and Java consultant Ken Kousen demonstrates how writing anything from a simple build script to a full scale application is much easier with Groovy than with Java. You’ll quickly learn how to add Groovy to your projects, and then explore the language through a host of examples and demonstrations.
Once you complete this course, check out Ken’s other videos on the subject: Practical Groovy and Mastering Groovy.
- Walk through Groovy’s basic data types
- Use the “slashy” string syntax to define regular expressions
- Learn how operator overloading in the libraries simplifies your code
- Control and customize all the natural defaults and autogenerated code in POGOs
- Get demonstrations on using closures, and mixing Java and Groovy classes together
- Know when and how to use Abstract Syntax Tree (AST) transformations
- Parse and generate both XML and JSON
- Access RESTful web services with ease
Ken Kousen, President of Kousen IT, Inc., is a technical trainer, mentor, and consultant in all areas related to Java, specializing in Android, Spring, Hibernate/JPA, Groovy, and Grails. He is the author of Making Java Groovy (Manning) and the upcoming O’Reilly book, Gradle for Android.
Table of contents
- Installing Groovy
Numbers and Strings
- Integer and Floating Point Types 00:05:34
- Operator Overloading 00:06:31
- Strings and Groovy Strings 00:12:26
- Multiline Strings and the "Slashy" String Syntax for Regular Expressions 00:10:34
Plain Old Groovy Objects (POGOs)
- A Lot of Power From Little Code 00:19:33
- Basics of Closures
- Miscellaneous Operators and Techniques
- Title: Groovy Programming Fundamentals
- Release date: May 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491926253
You might also like
Algorithms: 24-part Lecture Series
Algorithms, Deluxe Edition, Fourth Edition These Algorithms Video Lectures cover the essential information that every serious …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Docker, Dockerfile, and Docker-Compose (2020 Ready!)
Get to grips with Docker, containers versus images, and more by learning through a hands-on approach …
Learn how to implement Gradle, the Groovy-based build automation system that can help you build and …