Grow the Core stands conventional wisdom about business growth on its head and provides a proven formula for growing your business in recessionary times.
These days, it's a common belief among business leaders across industry sectors that the best way to grow their businesses is to expand into new markets. In reality, virtually all top-performing companies achieve superior results through a leading position in their core business. Unfortunately, there's very little in the way of practical advice on how to do this. Grow the Core shows you how tofocus on your core business for brand success, with a program of eight workouts road-tested by the author's consultancy, the brandgym.
The book provides inspiration, practical advice and proven tools for building and strengthening your core business. It is packed with case studies from brandgym clients, including Mars, Friesland Campina, SAB Miller and Danone. The book features exclusive brandgym research, in addition to front-line experience on over one hundred brand coaching projects.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
Part I: Why Grow the Core?
- Chapter 1: Defining the core
- Chapter 2: Stretching the brand, forgetting the core
- Chapter 3: The case for the core
Part II: Grow the Core Principles
- Chapter 4: The core growth drivers
- Chapter 5: Renovation or re-invention?
Part III: Grow the Core Workouts
Chapter 6: Workout 1: Bake the brand into your product
- Bake in your brand – The Geek Squad
- Using product to grow your core 1: Amplify a product truth – Morrisons and Castle Lite
- Using product to grow your core 2: More of what you want – McDonald's
- Using product to grow your core 3: Less of what you don't want – Walkers
- Key takeouts
- Checklist 6. Renovation or re-invention?
Chapter 7: Workout 2: Create a distinctive identity
- Identity crisis
- Being the 1 in 1000
- Balancing freshness and consistency – Tropicana
- Updating your identity – Nivea
- Creating your identity – Charlie Bigham's
- Suggesting a benefit – Waitrose Essentials
- Re-positioning – Green & Black's
- Adding value – Molton Brown
- Packvertising – innocent
- Family ties – Nescafé and Red Bull
- Amplifying brand properties – Felix
- Five-minute focus groups
- Key takeouts
- Checklist 7. Create your own identity
- Chapter 8: Workout 3: Communicate with cut-through
- Chapter 9: Workout 4: Go beyond promotion to activation
- Chapter 10: Workouts 5 and 6: Drive your distribution
- Chapter 11: Workouts 7 and 8: Extend the core
- Chapter 6: Workout 1: Bake the brand into your product
- Part IV: The Grow the Core Workplan
- Also by
- Title: Grow the Core: How to Focus on your Core Business for Brand Success
- Release date: February 2013
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118484708