SELECTED AS A 2008 BEST BUSINESS BOOK OF THE YEAR BY THE ECONOMIST
The Net Generation Has Arrived.
Are you ready for it?
Chances are you know a person between the ages of 11 and 30. You've seen them doing five things at once: texting friends, downloading music, uploading videos, watching a movie on a two-inch screen, and doing who-knows-what on Facebook or MySpace. They're the first generation to have literally grown up digital--and they're part of a global cultural phenomenon that's here to stay.
The bottom line is this: If you understand the Net Generation, you will understand the future.
If you're a Baby Boomer or Gen-Xer: This is your field guide.
A fascinating inside look at the Net Generation, Grown Up Digital is inspired by a $4 million private research study. New York Times bestselling author Don Tapscott has surveyed more than 11,000 young people. Instead of a bunch of spoiled “screenagers” with short attention spans and zero social skills, he discovered a remarkably bright community which has developed revolutionary new ways of thinking, interacting, working, and socializing.
Grown Up Digital reveals:
- How the brain of the Net Generation processes information
- Seven ways to attract and engage young talent in the workforce
- Seven guidelines for educators to tap the Net Gen potential
- Parenting 2.0: There's no place like the new home
- Citizen Net: How young people and the Internet are transforming democracy
Today's young people are using technology in ways you could never imagine. Instead of passively watching television, the “Net Geners” are actively participating in the distribution of entertainment and information. For the first time in history, youth are the authorities on something really important. And they're changing every aspect of our society-from the workplace to the marketplace, from the classroom to the living room, from the voting booth to the Oval Office.
The Digital Age is here. The Net Generation has arrived. Meet the future.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- grown up digital
- Copyright Page
- RESEARCH METHODS, TEAMS, AND ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
Part One Meet the Net Gen
1 THE NET GENERATION COMES OF AGE
- BOOM, BUST, ECHO
- THE ECHO BECOMES THE NET GENERATION
- THE FIRST GLOBAL GENERATION
- THE EIGHT NET GENERATION NORMS
2 A GENERATION BATHED IN BITS
- THEY USE TECHNOLOGY DIFFERENTLY THAN BOOMERS
- HOW WOULD YOU FEEL WITHOUT ACCESS TO COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY?
- HOW WOULD YOU FEEL WITHOUT ACCESS TO COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGY?
- DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY IS CHANGING THEIR BEHAVIOR: A DAY IN THE LIFE
- THEY ARE CHANGING THE TECHNOLOGY: IT'S NOT YOUR DADDY'S INTERNET
- THE PLAY'S THE THING: GAMES, MOVIES, AND CIVICS
- HELLO OFFICER, PLEASE SMILE FOR THE CAMERA
- A NEW SOCIAL UTILITY
- THE DARK SIDE OF SOCIAL NETWORKING: IS PRIVACY OVER?
- 3 CHARACTERISTICS OF A GENERATION THE EIGHT NET GEN NORMS
4 THE NET GENERATION BRAIN
- THE BRAIN CAN CHANGE, EVEN AFTER CHILDHOOD
- THE ADOLESCENT BRAIN: A WORK IN PROGRESS
- DIGITAL IMMERSION: DOES IT AFFECT THE TEEN BRAIN?
- INTERNET SCREEN TIME: DOES IT AFFECT THE WAY NET GENERS ABSORB INFORMATION?
- MULTITASKING: ARE NET GENERS BETTER AT SWITCHING ATTENTION?
- TECHNOLOGY AND THINKING
- CONCLUSION: THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT
- SEVEN GUIDELINES FOR A SHARPER MIND
Part Two Transforming Institutions
5 RETHINKING EDUCATION THE NET GENERATION AS LEARNERS
- TWO GENERATIONS: ONE THRIVING, ONE FAILING
- THE GLOBAL ECONOMY AND DIGITAL AGE REQUIRE NEW ABILITIES
- OLD PARADIGMS ARE HARD TO CHANGE
- WHAT WORKS? FOCUS ON THE STUDENT, NOT THE TEACHER
- FROM BROADCAST TO INTERACTIVE LEARNING
- FROM INSTRUCTION TO DISCOVERY
- FROM INDIVIDUAL TO COLLABORATIVE LEARNING
- FROM ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL TO ONE-SIZE-FITS-ONE
- NOW THAT COMPUTERS ARE IN SOME SCHOOLS, HOW'S IT WORKING OUT?
- THE 2.0 SCHOOL
- THE SCHOOL 2.0—SEVEN TIPS FOR EDUCATORS
6 RETHINKING TALENT AND MANAGEMENT THE NET GENERATION IN THE WORKFORCE
- YOUNG RETAILERS MAKE THE "BEST BUY" FOR THEIR FUTURE
- THE WAR FOR TALENT
- NET GENERATION NORMS AND THE TRANSFORMATION OF WORK
- A NET GENER'S IDEAL WORK SPACE
- A NET GENER'S PERFECT WORK SPACE
- TALENT 2.0: RETHINKING TALENT MANAGEMENT FOR A NEW GENERATION
- DON'T RECRUIT: INITIATE RELATIONSHIPS
- DON'T JUST TRAIN: ENGAGE
- DON'T JUST SUPERVISE—BUILD NEXT GENERATION COLLABORATIVE WORK SYSTEMS
- DON'T JUST RETAIN: EVOLVE THE RELATIONSHIP
- TALENT 2.0: SEVEN GUIDELINES FOR MANAGERS
7 N-FLUENCE NETWORKS AND THE PROSUMER REVOLUTION THE NET GENERATION AS CONSUMERS
- THE NEW GENERATION OF CONSUMERS HAS MONEY, AND UNPRECEDENTED INFLUENCE
THE EIGHT NORMS: HOW THEY GUIDE NET GENERS WHEN THEY GO SHOPPING
- Freedom: Give Me Choice and the More the Better
- Customization: Make It My Own
- Scrutiny: I Will Check It Out Before I Go to the Store
- Integrity: Does This Company Deserve My Money?
- Collaboration: Let Me Help You Make Your Product or Service Better
- Entertainment: Make It Fun
- Speed: Serve Me Now
- Innovation: Give Me the Latest
- THE RISE OF N-FLUENCE NETWORKS
- TYPES OF N-FLUENCE NETWORKS
- TURNING CONSUMERS INTO PROSUMERS
- THE NET GENERATION AND MARKETING 2.0: FROM FOUR PS TO THE ABCDE OF MARKETING
- CONSUMERS 2.0: SEVEN GUIDELINES FOR MARKETING PROFESSIONALS
8 NO PLACE LIKE THE NEW HOME THE NET GENERATION AND THE FAMILY
- THE FREEDOM FLIP
- FAMILY TIES: THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE THE NEW HOME
- HELICOPTER PARENTS ARE HOVERING
- BULLYING, PORNOGRAPHY, AND PREDATORS
- WHAT WILL NET GENERS DO AS PARENTS?
- SEVEN PARENTING GUIDELINES FROM THE KIDS WHO HAVE GROWN UP DIGITAL
- 5 RETHINKING EDUCATION THE NET GENERATION AS LEARNERS
Part Three Transforming Society
9 OBAMA, SOCIAL NETWORKS, AND CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT THE NET GENERATION AND DEMOCRACY
- THEY'RE NOT THE ME GENERATION: THEY CARE
- TRADITIONAL POLITICS ARE A TURNOFF
- A GENERATION MOVES FROM CIVIC ACTION TO POLITICAL ACTION
- NET GENERS ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE DEMOCRATS
- UNLEASHING THE GENIE: HOW BARACK OBAMA USED SOCIAL NETWORKING TO ENGAGE A GENERATION
- NOW THEY WANT A SAY IN GOVERNMENT—OR THEY COULD TAKE IT TO THE STREETS
- DEMOCRACY 2.0: FROM BROADCAST TO INTERACTIVE
- BUILDING TRUST WITH A NEW GENERATION
- DEMOCRACY 2.0: SEVEN GUIDELINES FOR GOVERNMENT LEADERS
10 MAKING THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE—AT GROUND LEVEL
- THE NET GENERATION IS INHERITING A MESS
- THE LIFE OF AN ACTIVIST BEFORE THE INTERNET
- STAYING IN TOUCH WITH YOUR FRIENDS TAKES ON A NEW MEANING
- THE GOOD CITIZENS
- TAKING IT GLOBAL
- HOW ACTIVISTS ARE TAPPING INTO NET GEN NORMS
- SEVEN WAYS TO GET NET GENERS TO VOLUNTEER AND WORK EFFECTIVELY FOR YOUR CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANIZATION
11 IN DEFENSE OF THE FUTURE
THE DARK SIDE REVISITED
- The Dumbest Generation?
- Screen Addicted? Losing Social Skills?
- Are They Giving Up Their Privacy?
- Are They Coddled? Do They Lack Independence?
- Does the Internet Encourage Youth to Steal? Are They Cheaters?
- Does It Encourage Bullying?
- Does It Incite Youth Violence?
- Does the Net Gen Have a Misguided Sense of Entitlement and a Bad Work Ethic?
- Are They Narcissistic?
- What About Their Values? Do They Just Want to Be Rich and Famous?
- FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN
- A FORCE FOR CHANGE IN EVERY INSTITUTION
- WILL WE LET THIS GENERATION RESHAPE THE WORLD?
- LEADERSHIP 2.0: SEVEN GUIDELINES FOR A NEW GENERATION
- THE DARK SIDE REVISITED
- 9 OBAMA, SOCIAL NETWORKS, AND CITIZEN ENGAGEMENT THE NET GENERATION AND DEMOCRACY
- Title: Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World
- Release date: November 2008
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071641555
You might also like
How to Run Seminars and Workshops, 4th Edition
Make your message stick with expert help from this classic trainer's resource How to Run Seminars …
Mac OS X for Absolute Beginners
Best-selling author Wallace Wang teaches you how to use El Capitan, the latest version of the …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
How To Talk To Absolutely Anyone, 2nd Edition
Talk to anyone, anytime, about anything — with confidence. How to Talk to Absolutely Anyone is …