Hadoop has revolutionized data processing and enterprise data warehousing, but its explosive growth has come with a large amount of uncertainty, hype, and confusion. With this report, enterprise decision makers will receive a concise crash course on what Hadoop is and why it’s important.
Hadoop represents a major shift from traditional enterprise data warehousing and data analytics, and its technology can be daunting at first. Donald Miner, founder of the data science firm Miner & Kasch, covers just enough ground so you can make intelligent decisions about Hadoop in your enterprise.
By the end of this report, you’ll know the basics of technologies such as HDFS, MapReduce, and YARN, without becoming mired in the details. Not only will you learn the basics of how Hadoop works and why it’s such an important technology, you’ll get examples of how you should probably be using it.
Table of Contents
Hadoop: What You Need to Know
- An Introduction to Hadoop and the Hadoop Ecosystem
- Hadoop Masks Being a Distributed System
- Hadoop Scales Out Linearly
- Hadoop Runs on Commodity Hardware
- Hadoop Handles Unstructured Data
- In Hadoop You Load Data First and Ask Questions Later
- Hadoop is Open Source
- The Hadoop Distributed File System Stores Data in a Distributed, Scalable, Fault-Tolerant Manner
- YARN Allocates Cluster Resources for Hadoop
- MapReduce is a Framework for Analyzing Data
- Further Reading
- Title: Hadoop: What You Need to Know
- Release date: March 2016
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491937303