Developing modern software requires an automated pipeline that builds, tests, and deploys your application, complete with its required infrastructure. GitLab is a Git-based version control server, available at gitlab.com or as a private server. GitLab CI provides automated builds and deployments right from within GitLab. With GitLab CI, it is easy to add build and deployment automation that triggers on every code change, helping you build high-quality, reliable software and deploy it to production at speed. This course will give you a hands-on tutorial on GitLab CI. You will use GitLab CI to create a DevOps pipeline to automatically build, test, and deploy software to virtual machines and container environments.
You will explore the features of GitLab CI, including using runners to execute build jobs, creating multi-stage builds, and deploying to virtualized and containerized environments. You will see how easy it is to get started with GitLab CI by deploying your own runners in cloud environments or on your own servers, using Docker and Kubernetes or ordinary scripting.
By the end of this course, you'll be ready to use GitLab CI for your own applications to automate your build and deployment pipelines.
What You Will Learn
- Automate your application builds, tests, and deployments through a simple configuration of GitLab CI.
- Build confidence in your software by integrating test and quality checking into your development process.
- Deploy your application automatically to virtualized and containerized cloud environments so your software is always up-to-date
- Integrate monitoring so you can be sure your application is working well in production
- ]Create your own automated build infrastructure fully under your control.
About The Author
Alan Hohn: Alan Hohn is a Software Architect who primarily works with distributed Java. He has had a lot of experience re-architecting embedded systems and in combining embedded and enterprise approaches. Lately he has been doing quite a bit of work with virtualization, DevOps, and cloud technologies. Over the past several years, he has had the opportunity to teach courses on Java. His role and interest also mean that he frequently tries out new libraries and new approaches. His hope is that some of that material will be as useful to others as he has occasionally found it. He is employed by Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Training and his personal blog is called Variegated.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 : Automated DevOps Pipelines
- Chapter 2 : Build Stages, Artifacts, and Dependencies
- Chapter 3 : Automated Application Deployment
- Chapter 4 : Application Quality and Monitoring
- Chapter 5 : Custom CI Infrastructure
- Title: Hands-On Auto DevOps with GitLab CI
- Release date: March 2019
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781838554644
You might also like
Automating DevOps with GitLab CI/CD Pipelines
Use GitLab CI/CD pipelines for automating and deploying different steps of your software development lifecycle using …
GitLab Quick Start Guide
Port projects over from GitHub and convert SVN projects to GitLab hosted git projects Key Features …
Kubernetes for the Absolute Beginners - Hands-On
The demand for DevOps engineers in the IT industry is ever-increasing, with the average Silicon Valley …
Getting Started with Kubernetes LiveLessons, 2nd Edition
6+ Hours of Video Instruction An updated edition of this video title is available. Please go …