Ready to dive into smart contract development for the blockchain? With this practical guide, experienced engineers and beginners alike will quickly learn the entire process for building smart contracts for Ethereum—the open source blockchain-based distributed computing platform. You’llget up to speed with the fundamentals and quickly move into builder mode.
Kevin Solorio, Randall Kanna, and Dave Hoover show you how to create and test your own smart contract, create a frontend for users to interact with, and more. It’s the perfect resource for people who want to break into the smart contract field but don’t know where to start.
In four parts, this book helps you:
- Explore smart contract fundamentals, including the Ethereum protocol, Solidity programming language, and the Ethereum Virtual Machine
- Dive into smart contract development using Solidity and gain experience with Truffle framework tools for deploying and testing your contracts
- Use Web3 to connect your smart contracts to an applicationso users can easily interact with the blockchain
- Examine smart contract security along with free online resources for smart contract security auditing
Table of Contents
- I. Intro to the Ethereum Blockchain
- 1. Blockchain Concepts
- 2. Decentralized Applications
- 3. Before We Get Started
- II. Developing Smart Contracts
- 4. Our First Smart Contract
- 5. Deploying and Interacting with Contracts
- 6. The Fundraiser Application
- 7. FundraiserFactory
- III. Interacting with Our Smart Contracts Through Web3
- 8. What Is Web3?
- 9. Connecting the UI to Our Contracts
- 10. Our Larger DApp
11. Finishing Our Fundraiser UI
- Adding Detailed Information About Each Fundraiser
- Accepting a Donation with React
- Displaying the Current ETH Exchange Rate
- Generating a Donation Receipt for Our User
- Handling a Withdrawal from Our Contract
- IV. Securing Your Smart Contracts
12. Smart Contract Security
- Why Do We Need to Worry About Security?
- Types of Smart Contract Vulnerabilities
- Preparing Your Contract for an External Audit
- Free Auditing Resources
- Growing Your Auditing Skills
- Title: Hands-On Smart Contract Development with Solidity and Ethereum
- Release date: December 2019
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492045267