Hardware startups leveled off in 2014 after sharp increases the previous two years, but there's no sign that IoT products have lost their luster, given their momentum in key economic sectors from health and energy to agriculture and financial services. In our biannual report, Hardware by the Numbers: Startups, you'll learn the most pertinent data behind the latest IoT trends.
Renee DiResta, Vice President of Business Development at Haven, not only reveals how many prominent accelerators around the world focus solely on hardware--and why startups participating in these programs are roughly split between B2B and B2C business models--but also examines the effect this emerging ecosystem is having in several industries, including:
- Health: wearables constitute the majority of connected devices
- Energy: "smart grids" continue to drive IoT adoption
- Financial Services/Insurance: sensors help this industry move from actuarial tables to behavioral and usage data
- Agriculture: conservation of resources and maximization of yield are at the forefront of IoT innovation
- Logistics and Transportation: startups are making inroads via sensors, routing optimization tools, and more
- Public Sector: governments are moving down the path to instrumented cities
Download this free report and discover the opportunities awaiting hardware and software entrepreneurs in the IoT space.
Renee DiResta is Vice President of Business Development at Haven and a cofounder of the IoT Syndicate on AngelList. She was previously a principal at O'Reilly AlphaTech Ventures (OATV), where she spent four years as a VC investing in seed-stage technology startups. She also spent seven years as an equity derivatives trader at Jane Street Capital, a quantitative proprietary trading firm in NYC. Renee is the author of The Hardware Startup (O’Reilly).
Table of contents
- 1. Hardware by the Numbers
- Title: Hardware by the Numbers: Startups
- Release date: June 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491934807
You might also like
The Manager's Path
Managing people is difficult wherever you work. But in the tech industry, where management is also …
Learning How to Delegate as a Leader
Delegating work often goes awry. The software doesn’t work, the invitations aren’t sent out on time, …
Product Management in Practice
Product management has become a critical connective role for modern organizations, from small technology startups to …
Raspberry Pi Cookbook, 3rd Edition
With millions of new users and several new models, the Raspberry Pi ecosystem continues to expand—along …