When Your Boss Doesn’t Respect Your Family Commitments
by Rebecca Knight
- Have a one-on-one conversation with your boss
- Frame your plans in terms of achieving business goals
- Communicate often—but set clear boundaries
- Find allies inside your organization
- Be ready to move on if necessary
When trying to balance your work and family commitments, it helps to have a boss who is understanding and supportive: someone who doesn’t raise an eyebrow when you sign off early to attend a school event or take a personal day to accompany an aging parent to a doctor’s appointment.
But what if your manager isn’t sympathetic to your familial responsibilities? Or worse, your boss is outright dismissive or is even hostile toward your obligations? ...