How to Support Your Partner During a Career Setback
by Deborah Grayson Riegel
- Take a breath to counteract your body’s natural fight-or-flight response to bad news
- Choose to maintain a positive mindset
- Remind your partner—and yourself—that you’re on the same team
- Use language that validates and supports your partner
- Take good care of your own career
Whether it’s a bad performance review or a layoff, a relocation or a reassignment, a missed promotion or a lost account, most of us have endured a career setback. Perhaps you experienced anxiety or depression as a result, or maybe you used the opportunity to reflect on your strengths and to take your time to figure out what’s next.
Whatever you did to recover and bounce back from ...