CHOICES FOR THE FUTURE
• To assess the implications of American values and expectations for health care as a continuing public issue
• To understand the challenges faced by non-U.S. health care systems
• To appreciate the lessons of state-level experiments in health care delivery and finance
• To review recent comprehensive reform efforts
• To anticipate future controversies and explore options
OPPORTUNITIES AND BARRIERS TO CHANGE
While describing the characteristics and operations of the U.S. health care system, the foregoing chapters have identified a wide variety of problems. Despite these problems, the system has delivered high-quality care to the vast majority of Americans for generations at a cost society has ...