• To be able to explain the process a health care organization generally goes through in selecting a health care information system.
• To be able to describe the systems development life cycle and its four major stages.
• To be able to discuss the various options for acquiring a health care information systems (for example, purchasing, leasing, contracting with an application service provider, building a system in-house) and the pros and cons of each.
• To be able to discuss the purpose and content of a request for information and request for proposal in the system acquisition process.
• To gain insight into the problems that may occur during the system acquisition process.