Assuring the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Compliance
In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Describe, at an introductory level, the legal requirements that health IT (HIT) professionals need to be aware of
• Define the terms business associate (BA), covered entity (CE), privacy, security, and protected health information (PHI)
• Identify legal documentation requirements—what needs to be included in application development to meet legal requirements
• Understand the use of BA contracts, creation of limited data sets, and requirements related to the reduction of legal risk as HIT professionals work with healthcare organizations and vendor partners
• Describe the implications for health ...