Take control of your digital living room! Make your TiVO, UltimateTV, XBox or GameCube do your bidding. We show you how to use these PCs in sheep's clothing to be king of your domain (or at least the area immediately surrounding your recliner).
Like the plot from a circa 1950's sci-fi film, computerized look-alikes have surreptitiously replaced our VCRs, our video game consoles...even our televisions and stereos. While the advantages that these digital entertainment devices (DEDs) offer over their analog predecessors are immense - so is the potential for sensory and information overload. Unlike the benign appliances we grew up with, these new digital wonders demand much more from us than the simple ability to turn them on and off. It's time to take control, put them through their paces, show them who's boss.
The revolution in your living roomThe same forces that revolutionized the workplace during the past 25 years are now at work in our homes. The PCs in our dens were only the forerunners of this computer revolution. The real fireworks are taking place in the living room, where computers hidden inside our everyday appliances are poised to transform the way we live. Bottom line: Your days as a couch potato are numbered.
TiVO and UltimateTV - changing the way you watch TV - forever! TiVO and UltimateTV are shaping up to be the white-hot category in home electronics for 2002. The merger of computers and traditional VCRs goes far beyond the superficial benefits of pausing and applying slow-motion and stop-action effects to live television. Learn the full range of these versatile machines.
Choosing the right game console - You might not know it, we are amid a hardware slugfest between Nintendo, Sony and the dark horse, Microsoft. It's likely to be a battle as bloody as any depicted on the game consoles themselves. Compare the XBox, GameCube and Playstation2 side-by-side, and decide which console is right for you. Understanding the technical specs will help you make the right decision.
Are you Feeling Lucky? Then, hacking your TiVO or UltimateTV box is just up your alley!You are truly the master of your digital domain. Not satisfied to let well enough alone, you're ready to venture into the unknown, in search of personal video recording nirvana. Kiss your warranty goodbye as you open up the box and truly push the envelope of digital entertainment.
Not sure how to deal with the @#%^$@^ rat's nest of cables behind your entertainment center? Simmer down, there and let Steve help you set up your new TiVO or UltimateTV. If you have only a TV and cable box, the setup is a snap, but if you are working in a cramped space, trying to run video into the digital recorder from DirecTV and cable, want to run the audio through the stereo receiver and have everything use S-video, though your TV has only one S-video jack, you might need a little help.
Table of Contents
- About the Author
- Tell Us What You Think!
- 1. The Revolution in Your Living Room
2. Intelligent Television—The Boob Tube Wises Up
- Overview of Video IEDs
- Getting Hooked (Up) with Intelligent Television
- Video IED Recording Options
- Flies in the Soup: Known Bugs and Glitches
3. Video IEDs: More Than Just Appliances
- Choosing the Right Video IED for You
4. Playing the Field: Other Video IED Convergence Devices
- Can My PC Be My IED?
- Thinking Inside the Box: PC Hardware Requirements
- Video IED Software for Your PC
- Buying Off the Rack: The Sony Digital Studio PC
- What’s Coming Next?
- 5. Intelligent Game Consoles—Gaming Goes Global
6. Choosing the Right Gaming IED for You
- Nintendo GameCube
- Microsoft Xbox
- Sony PlayStation 2
- What’s Coming Next
- 7. Intelligent Audio—Teaching Your Stereo New Tricks
8. Choosing the Right Audio IED for You
- SonicBlue Rio Digital Audio Receiver
- Turtle Beach AudioTron
- iPaq Music Center
- AudioReQuest Pro Digital Music System
- Additional Audio IEDs and Related Components
- Coming Attractions
9. Other “Convergence” Devices
- What Else Is There?
- Internet-Enabled Set-Top Boxes
- Conclusions on Convergence
- 10. Customizing Your Digital Entertainment Experience
- 11. Hacking Your IED
- 12. How Did You Ever Live Without It?
- Title: High-Tech Toys for Your TV: Secrets of TiVo™, Xbox
- Release date: March 2002
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: None